Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

do you know "wikis" ?

jolka

jolka

Poland

Smilehey guys,

can you help me…. I try to find out what wikis are and have you ever use them? are they good for learning english?Smile

05:39 PM Jan 15 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

ykhykh

ykhykh

China

wikis? what it is?

01:06 AM Jan 16 2008 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Do you mean a wiki or a wikipedia? A wiki is something that lets people link their information and webpages to other people and their webpages or sites very easily. 

A wikipedia is based on the same principle and allows people to add and comment on information. It's like a general knowledge encyclopedia, people read and add information about anything they want. These days if you look up something on the Internet you will almost certainly find a Wikipedia link. 

Information is information. It isn't always true, as proven by the American invasion of Iraq. Treat all information as suspect until you read more about the same topic in several places.

Hope this helps.  

02:09 AM Jan 16 2008 |

ykhykh

ykhykh

China

i see. thank you!

02:48 AM Jan 16 2008 |

ykhykh

ykhykh

China

i see. thank you!

02:48 AM Jan 16 2008 |

mitchelk

mitchelkSuper Member!

United States

Wikis are sometimes used in ESL classroom, so that students can work to gather to write one paper.  On a normal wiki anyone can edit the information. If you are looking for a cool site to contribute to try http://protagonize.com/  You can read stories written by other people and you can add parts of your own. 

07:28 AM Jan 16 2008 |

jolka

jolka

Poland

thanks for your repliesSmile

do you know any web sites that are strictly connected with use of wikis in language learning? I'm going to write a piece of paper about it and I nrrd help

thank you in advance

byeSmile

07:58 AM Jan 18 2008 |

mitchelk

mitchelkSuper Member!

United States

I used a wiki with my students.  They made all of the content on their own.  I wrote NOTHING.  Here it is:

inspireenglish.pbwiki.com 

08:33 AM Jan 18 2008 |

ahmedlee

ahmedlee

Iraq

i wanna know what ( wiki ) means

12:34 PM Jan 18 2008 |

zshzsh

China

I don,t no.

08:51 AM Jan 28 2008 |