Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Would be & Would have been

1000and1

Iraq

Hello!

Could anyone please tell me which one of these is correct:

"At the time we receive your orders, many books:

1- would have been run out of print.

2- would be out of print.

3- would have run out of print.

Thank you,

Ibrahim 

07:56 PM Jan 21 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

If you really have to choose from these three, it should be “2- would be out of print.”

09:44 PM Jan 21 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

What is the situation? Or is it just a grammar question with no context?

09:46 PM Jan 21 2008 |

1000and1

Iraq

Thank you!

What I want to explain is: Because of your long ordering procedures [that we've already experienced], your orders are coming late and therefore you are missing the books as a result [because the books will already be out of print then].

Thanks again,

Ibrahim 

10:07 PM Jan 21 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

If you mean to say that this is what usually happens, say “At the time we receive your orders, many books ARE out of print.”
If you are talking to a client about his future intentions to place an order, say ”...WILL be out of print.” or “BY the time we receive your orders, many books WILL HAVE BEEN out of print.”
You usually say “wouId” when you’re hypothetically speaking. Like, what you suppose would happen if circumstances were different (but they are not, actually).
“If I were rich, I would buy a jet plane.” (but I’m not)
So if you said “At the time we receive your orders, many books WOULD BE out of print.”, you mean this is not actually possible to happen or you’re just assuming the possibilities and what would happen if that were the case.
“Would have” is like when you describe a past situation and you say how things would have been different under different circumstances (but this concerns a particular situation that actually happened)
“If I had known he would be there, I wouldn’t have gone.”

08:38 AM Jan 22 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I have not done my homework on conditionals, so it's difficult for me to comment on their use. However, I think that in this context, the phrase should be "out of stock" rather than "out of print". If you do a Google search for "out of print" books, it will come up with a list of rare and out-of-print books that are in stock with various used  (second hand) book dealers.

12:47 PM Jan 22 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

@tiffintime
maybe. I just elaborated on the Grammar part there.
a book can be out of print (stopped being published) or out of stock (insufficient supply)

03:45 PM Jan 22 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

Hi nad1a, Agreed. Maybe I jumped the gun here. 

06:09 AM Jan 23 2008 |