Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

why English?

Yakamoz

Yakamoz

Turkey

hello friends..

what do you think about English? why English is very famous in the world for you? i wanna learn your opinions about this theme.. for example; why Italian or France or Indıan is not famous more than English?

you,too see: if you wanna work you must know English for second language.. actually, everybody have to know English in this world for can live.. you can understand what i wanna say..

now, yes, i wanna ask it : " why another language is not famous like English?"

what do you think?

12:04 PM Sep 04 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

[kathy]

Peru

hi!

i think becouse the majority person speak english…the lenguage is very important ..becouse is the lenguage comercial..but  But not Francia not even italian because only they speak each other in a place.

01:22 PM Sep 04 2008 |

Wind--good

China

I think english is easier then each others.I like learn it very much.

02:20 PM Sep 04 2008 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

DUH

English is easy :)

I've seen that's the most easy language :)

and you know, WHERE is the most Rich people, or the Country? USA ,i guess…oh :D in fact i dont mind why, but i mind to use it ^^

;)

02:25 PM Sep 04 2008 |

Yakamoz

Yakamoz

Turkey

:)

02:29 PM Sep 04 2008 |

Armilia

Armilia

Indonesia

coz the central of the world is the super power US.. :D

if we want to success.. it's impossible if we stuck in the edge.. :) we must go to the center.. is it right?

02:39 PM Sep 04 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

A very interesting topic indeed.

In terms of the number of countries where it's spoken (either as primary or secondary language), English is the most widely used language.   It must have all started with the British colonies and most specifically, the biggest colony of the British Empire, which later on turned into the United States of America and their increasing economical and cultural influence after World War Two.

This must be one reason why it has established itself as an international language of communication and international relations, as well as technology and entertainment.

03:31 PM Sep 04 2008 |

nad1a

nad1a

Greece

For the most curious here is a comparison table of most spoken languages, countries they're spoken in and total numbers of

speakers.
LanguageNumber of countries spokennumber of total speakersEnglish 53First language: 309–400 million
Second language: 199–1,400 million
Overall: 1.8 billionFrench 29 Native: 65 to 130 million
Total: estimates from 160 million to 500 million Spanish 20 First language: 322– c. 400 million
Totala: 400–500 millionItalian 7Maternal language: 60 – 70 million
Cultural language: 110-120 million)Arabic 25 native speakers: 186 and 422 million
non-native speakers: 246 million Russian 10 primary language: about 164 million
secondary language: 114 million (2006)
total: 300 – 350 million Chinese 5approx 1.176 billion

04:11 PM Sep 04 2008 |

jean___michel

Brazil

I completely agree with nad1a

Bye

07:06 PM Sep 04 2008 |

Nony1990

Nony1990

Saudi Arabia

i think cuz it's so eazy

it's the eazyest lang in the world as i know …

and cuz what nad1a has said

02:59 AM Sep 26 2008 |

Yakamoz

Yakamoz

Turkey

:)

09:42 AM Oct 11 2008 |