Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

what is the difference between ....

thukaa

thukaa

Saudi Arabia

what is the difference between "love" and "like" ?

01:57 PM Mar 04 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

cattyleans

Philippines

the difference between love and like is that love is the most precious thing you can feel towards another,you will never be wrong if you really love him or her while like is that a feeling that has limitations and can never be taken seriously,that's why a lot of people regret it at the end, brokenhearted, because they themselves never knew what love and like is with them.

02:53 PM Mar 04 2007 |

nugroho

nugroho

Indonesia

You will enjoy things that you like; and you will be happy or be killed by things that you love. Cool

05:26 AM Mar 05 2007 |

Stacybabe

Stacybabe

Taiwan

Literally difference is the intensity. Actually difference is that, love derives from heart, like just a feeling of brain.

05:36 AM Mar 05 2007 |

KayG

KayG

United Kingdom

Or if you want to be really philosophical, how about this: When you like something/someone you want them because they are fun/good FOR YOU but when you love something/someone you are not asking for anything – you want them to have what THEY need.

03:03 PM Mar 05 2007 |

janacalicut

India

Hi thukaa,

Both has a positive meaning in common. When you like something , you just like it you dont hate it in another word. where as when you love something, you not only like it , you accept it with heart. you try to bring it more closer to your heart.

08:56 AM Apr 10 2007 |

zdrain836

zdrain836

China

You are reply so good!I am a flashman to learn english.who willing make a friend with me .I hope improve my english level!Thanks!!!

10:43 AM Apr 10 2007 |

janacalicut

India

hi. u just add @ hot mail . com with my nickname. no spaces

09:53 AM Apr 13 2007 |

silent_sam

silent_sam

Canada

In my humble opinion,

Love = passion

like = fun and laughter

But I also really like KayG's explanation for it … more philosophical and romantic.  So I could say:"I like her explanations and, I love reading them because I learn new things"   

06:03 AM Apr 14 2007 |

evenstar

evenstar

Philippines

Like is a superficial feeling of attraction. Love is not a feeling, it is a state of being.

09:13 AM Apr 14 2007 |