Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Slang and Idioms Game

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

I guess this simple game will help to make studying slang and idioms more fun. Here are the rules. One person puts here an idiom or slang which (s)he know, likes or uses often and then gives its meaning and an example of its application. The next person who wants the game continued, give his/her example of the previuos phrase (that can be either your own sentence or a piece of dialogue, a line from a song or even a little joke, actually the more it's funny or interesting the better, it's all up to you) and then gives his slang or idiom and its meaning to make the game go on.
For example, I tell

big shot
meaning – a very important person
Watch you words while speaking with him. He's a big shot.

And then you have to give your example where this word is used and then a next word or expression to go on. So let's get it started. Don't be shy and take part. Hope you'll enjoy.

SHe used to be a soccer mom few years ago, and now look at her! A big shot, you name it.

Hold-up
Meaning- a traffic jam
We'll get there in 20 minutes if there are no hold-ups.

07:01 PM Jul 02 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Le beau prince

Saudi Arabia

Hold-up

I hate big cities, there are hold-ups everywhere.

cats and dogs

meaning- raining very heavily

the weather is beautiful out, it is going to rain cats and dogs.

03:09 PM Jul 03 2009 |

Dissipator

Dissipator

Ukraine

cats and dogs
You'd better take your umbrella. It's raining cats and dogs out there.

tight-fisted
meaning- stingy, not generous with money
No way you get even a buck from that tight-fisted wart.

04:06 PM Jul 04 2009 |

Pearlgirl121

United States

tight-fisted

He's as tight-fisted as Ebenezer Scrooge!

dollars to doughnuts

meaning:  to bet something of value against something worthless or worth considerably less. It is used when you're absolutely certain about something or consider it a safe bet.

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that roses are flowers.  

08:36 PM Jul 07 2009 |