Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

YOUR grandparen't life,

majid99

United Arab Emirates

peace be upon u all , hope u all are fine

i wanna everyone who comes here tell me bout his/her grandma/grandpa 's life ..

like a story Laughing

tell us about the transportation how did they travel, 

weading what did they wear,

food, what kind of food,

health care where there hospitals,

Jobs what types of job where they doign

Education was there schools, did ur grandparen't went to school, till what age ?

what did you learn frm youe grandmother, or grandfather..

regards,

majid99Cool 

07:20 AM Oct 08 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

hpl]

hpl]

Jordan

هاي ممكن اتعرف انا رايان من الاردن

09:42 AM Oct 08 2009 |

Eleniya

Eleniya

Russian Federation

Such an ineresting post!

My grandparents met each other after the World War II, he was Russian and she was Ukrainian. My grandpa was a pilot and those days my grandma worked as  a cook in dining room for the pilots. There they met each other.

He took her with him to his Motherland in the south of Russia near the Black sea (I live here)

But I didn't know my grandpa, 'cause he died in 60's years in an accident. My grandmother taught me a lot of things: to cook, to sew, to  find medicative herbs..

And of'course I remember how she told me many fairytales and her songs in Ukrainian…

majid99, you have woken my childhood memories… )

11:43 AM Oct 14 2009 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

I am what you would call 'second generation Canadian'. This means that I'm the second generation of my family to be born here in Canada. Three of my grandparents came from England and one came from Scotland. I only know about three of them, but I think I can find details on the fourth somewhere on the Internet. 

My grandfather on my mother's side of the family was a settler out in Western Canada. He came here by himself and bought some land in Alberta. He built a little house and then the war came in 1914 so he joined the Canadian Infantry and went overseas. When he came back the Ukrainians had destroyed his house so he moved to Winnipeg. That's where my grandmother came to, with her brother because they wouldn't let her travel alone, as she had met my grandfather during the war.

My grandfather on my father's side was an orphan. His family had been unable to support themselves and left him at an orphanage in England, although they were Irish. He came across to Canada as an 'indentured servant' in the early part of the 1900s and was basically a slave for many years. He never got paid and was treated very badly by his French Canadian 'owners'. Although he never went to school, he was very intelligent and knew everything about politics and life. He fought in the First World War and was gassed by the Germans in the trenches. He was in the great battles of the First War: Ypres and the Battle of the Somme. After the war he worked as a superintendent of apartment buildings where he could fix anything. My dad had the same skills and, I guess, so do I. 

There is a bit of information for you. Let's keep this thread going if we can.  

12:24 PM Oct 14 2009 |