Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

What kind of time is "since 2000"?

TS

China

What kind of time is "since 2000"?

Is it past time, present time, or future time?

02:25 AM Jul 03 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

shooq

shooq

Somalia

present perfect

05:19 AM Jul 03 2007 |

TS

China

I know "since 2000" prefers to use Present Perfect. But what kind of time is it?

Is it past time, present time, or future time?

09:11 AM Jul 03 2007 |

melisa_de

melisa_de

Germany

sentences in present perfect tense refferences that something started in the past and has just finished or is still happening..so it can be present time or past time-just like its name says: present (present time) perfect (past time) tense!!

and one more thing-i don't know if you have known but the word "since" can have another meaning if it is the first word in one sentence. it means "because" simply because  a sentanceCANNOT start with "Because"

for example:

Since 2000 workers didn't want to break their strike, they all have been released!!

here "since" means "because"

But it can also been "I have been living in Germany since 2000" -it means i lived in the year 2000 in germany and i still live! or "Since the first time i saw him i have been crazy about him"...

it has really different meanings…

i hope i could help you

regards

04:23 PM Jul 03 2007 |

TS

China

melisa_de wrote:

<<sentences in present perfect tense refferences that something started in the past and has just finished or is still happening..so it can be present time or past time-just like its name says: present (present time) perfect (past time) tense!!>>

My reply: Thank you very much. I know of this ABC. Now if you know what you are saying, can you tell me what kind of time you are talking about? Are you talking about present time, or past time? Or even future time?

Or do you want to say "since 2000" is not a kind of time?

TS

Host of englishtense.com

06:37 PM Jul 03 2007 |

TS

China

Melisa wrote:
<<sentences in present perfect tense refferences that something started in the past and has just finished or is still happening..so it can be present time or past time-just like its name says: present (present time) perfect (past time) tense!!>>

My reply: Isn't Simple Present action "I sometimes swim in the beach" also something started in the past and has just finished or is still happening? Do you think it also "can be present time or past"?

More correctly, "since 2000" is neither present time nor past time. It is in the middle of past and present. Since this time span is expressed by Present Perfect, we may call it Perfect Time:
http://www.englishtense.com/newapproach/3_1.htm#3_1_8

12:33 PM Jul 04 2007 |

summer.han

summer.han

China

I agree with Melisa. "since 2000" should include psat time and present time or only means past time. It depends on the tense.

07:21 AM Jul 05 2007 |

TS

China

Summer wrote:
<<I agree with Melisa. "since 2000" should include psat time and present time or only means past time. It depends on the tense.>>

My reply:
Past time and present time exist because of contrast. If so, how can "since 2000" include both past and present?

By the way, as you said "It depends on the tense", do you mean the past tense or the present tense for "since 2000"? But "since 2000" demands Present Perfect, it is neither past tense nor present tense, to tell the truth.

07:48 AM Jul 05 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Hello, TS!!!

Let's try to make things a little easier for us all, because you not only got mixed up, but also made us get confused!

Since can be used as an adverb, conjunction and/or preposition…

Okay… It is known according to the Grammar rules of English Language that since  in the context that you put is an adverb of time that comprehends a time in the past up to the present time, that is, it refers to an action from a particular time in the past until now.

That's it! Melisa is correct when she says that it is used in the Present Perfect to refer to an action or event that started in a certain time in the past and is still happening.

Example, we are in 2007 and you say:

I have been studying English since 2000.

It means that you started your English studies in 2000 (past) and the period between 2000 and 2007 (2001, 02, 03, 04, 05 & 06) is also past, because the event happened already. But as you still study English in the present you have to use the Present Perfect. Got it?

I hope it helps you…

01:06 AM Jul 09 2007 |

Michellita

Michellita

Brazil

Oooops!!!!!! Duplicated…

01:07 AM Jul 09 2007 |

sparetime killer

Canada

it means from 2000 on

01:31 AM Jul 09 2007 |