Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

idiom

sangar

sangar

Iraq

what's this mean idiom?     sick and tired

04:00 PM Oct 21 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

snowflakes

snowflakes

Turkey

I dont know. But this this eee "to lose one's job".

:(

05:18 PM Oct 21 2007 |

kochin

Trinidad and Tobago

Sick and tired – fed up.

It is when you are frustrated of hearing or doing the same thing again and again. 

10:48 PM Oct 21 2007 |

Isybaby

Nigeria

An expression whose meaning is diffeent from the indivdual words.or u say an expression whose meaning cannot b deduced from the literally definition of the word thats wat i knw abt IDIOM….....

11:38 AM Oct 22 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

I'm sick and tired of my daughter's messy room! I'm sick and tired of politician's!

You can be sick and you can be tired separately but if you are 'sick and tired' you are frustrated with a particular situation in your life. You can also be 'fed up' with that situation. "I'm fed up with your whining about having no money!" Or you can be 'sick to death' of the same thing. Or you can be 'just sick of it'. 

If you are sick, as in not feeling well, you'd say "I'm sick" or "I'm sick with a cold". If you are tired of having this cold you would say"I'm sick of this cold. I'm fed up with this cold. I'm sick to death of this cold! I'm just sick of it!"

I hope this helps. Let me know if it doesn't.

Snowflakes, to lose one's job is when you are told you are not needed by your employer any more. You get fired or terminated or you get 'laid off'. There is not enough work for you so your company 'lays you off'. In either case, you lose your job.  

12:16 PM Oct 22 2007 |

parfait111

parfait111

France

what's up?

01:37 PM Oct 22 2007 |

snowflakes

snowflakes

Turkey

thanks Mapleleaf Man. You know very good English. I would liked  to make friend with you. But You have lots of friend. :( 

Idioms are very interesting subject. :(

10:48 PM Oct 22 2007 |

sangar

sangar

Iraq

thank you very much mapleleaf man

12:08 PM Oct 23 2007 |