Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

a grammar problem about "But, And,"

Luke

Luke

China

my teacher told me that don’t use “But, or And” to begin a sentence. Is it right? Thank you.

06:54 AM May 04 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Luke

Luke

China

I AM WAITING, PLEASURE.

07:02 AM May 04 2006 |

Luke

Luke

China

please

07:05 AM May 04 2006 |

zzcfl

China

I think its right~

07:28 AM May 04 2006 |

minhkhanh

minhkhanh

Viet Nam

hi! i have the same problem !
In my poin, it’s right beace “But, And” use when connect some of sentences . that’s we can’t use to begin a sentence! we can use them to behind comma

04:00 PM May 04 2006 |

episod

episod

United States

It is true, the use of the words “but” and “and” to start a sentence in written English is looked down upon. The reason is that it almost automatically renders a sentence into a sentence fragment, where it is only a portion of a thought instead of the complete thought.
But all rules are made to be broken.
And all broken rules are made new again.

04:05 PM May 04 2006 |

panglossian

United States

The general rule is don’t begin a sentence with “but” or “and” unless you are very confident in your English skills. I found many examples in textbooks and articles where people begin sentences with “and.”

If you’re uncertain about how to use “and” or “but” to begin a sentence, you can use “However” instead of “but” and “In addition to” or “Also” instead of “and”.

02:59 PM May 05 2006 |

Luke

Luke

China

Thank you all.

05:34 AM May 06 2006 |

ajithassociates@yahoo.co.in

Ireland

But or And is the continuation of something.  Offence is better than defence.  Start your own talk without merely replying.

05:12 AM Oct 04 2007 |

kochin

Trinidad and Tobago

I never use "and" to begin a sentence.

Sentences should not be more than two lines of typewritten text. If it is and you have used and more than twice, you need to more than one sentence. Also a sentence is supposed to express a complete thought.

You can use "but" to begin a sentence but I tend to use however.

In business writing it is usually better to just state your stance without a lot of ifs ands or buts. 

10:31 PM Oct 04 2007 |

SweetCarol

Philippines

Yes, don't use it to begin in sentence because  "But" and "and" is only a Prepositional word so you will use it only when you began to say a sentence.

06:18 PM Nov 16 2007 |