Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammar problems

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi all,

I am an English teacher working in Colombia and I have a question for the English learners.

What is the most difficult part of English grammar for you? (what gives you the most trouble, or is the hardest for you to remember?

08:28 PM Oct 27 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

NorahSa

NorahSa

Hungary

hi

Well, few lines cannot be enough to discuss it. What I have written down was not a conscious and well-organized thing. U R right, I was pretty misunderstandable. Well, let me tell u an example:

Once I had a student. She knew nearly everything about english grammar. She was at upper-intermediate level. Although her high level of language competence she was AFRAID OF (=excitement in a negative sense) speaking and listening. I couldn't believe my own ears when she revealed that. So during the course all my efforts were to minimize her level of fear to speak. And I was successfull because another student joined to my course who was brave enough-probably because of her reliable knowledge of German- to speak and this kind of an attitude could encourage my shy student. :-)

I am looking forward to hearing from u soon.

P.s.: I long for changing ideas with people who comes from different countries.

Love

Norah / Stellina

07:47 AM Dec 27 2007 |

voxarious

voxarious

United States

eng eager, sorry i took so long to reply, but i hope this helps: there is no technical/grammatical difference between i will and i am going to. both mean that whatever you are talking about will happen in the future, but they are perceived different ways by native speakers. "i am going to" implies you have consciously decided to do something, and will thus forcibly make it happen, where "i will" is a lighter, general statement that whatever occurs just happens to take place in the future. these are not set rules for the definition of will vs going to, but me trying to explain the connotation. so dont take it literally, even though i believe i have explained it fairly well. sometimes if you use one instead of the other it may sound very awkward, but there are not any rules that tell you which one is appropriate in the circumstances, you just have to hear them used enough to know when to use which one.

good luck,

lara v :)

07:57 AM Dec 27 2007 |

voxarious

voxarious

United States

AH! ok i got it, i thought you meant keep them from wanting to learn English lol. now that i see what you mean, i agree :) no use learning a language if you "cant" speak it. :P 

~lara v 

12:18 PM Dec 28 2007 |

cicak

cicak

Indonesia

Hi, i'm newcomer here. I'm having difficulty to learn english.I want to ask about which one to learn english better?

I learn grammar, vocabularies, hearing conversation between native person, etc

or 

I do my spoken directly with native person 

05:23 PM Jan 01 2008 |

NorahSa

NorahSa

Hungary

Well, try both…and the decision is in your hand. I can tell u dear cicak my own way of learning and acquiring English. I had been learning English for 6 years when a guy from New-Zealand came to our high school. He was the first native speaker to speak with. It was difficult to use those grammar structures that were laid down in the books because I knew them but did not have a chance to try them in real dialogues. So even if I had a reliable knowledge of English I found hard to communicate with that guy.

So i suggest that you should try to improve your speaking skills directly with a minimal pre-learning of rules….

Other ideas are welcome!

Goodbye!

luv: Stellina

11:11 AM Jan 02 2008 |

belisa

Spain

The most difficulp for me, phrasal verbs

01:23 PM Jan 02 2008 |

yyogas_007

India

simple present tense-passive

04:55 PM Jan 02 2008 |

yyogas_007

India

Grammar is not highly required for spoken english but  if you'r  weak in grammar , your spoken English would be wrong or say spoken english-broken english

04:59 PM Jan 02 2008 |

yyogas_007

India

I can teach you without complicated rules of grammar, in a very simple way if you like chat with me . 

05:02 PM Jan 02 2008 |

yyogas_007

India

you are wrong that only native english speakers can improve you grammar.It's highly possible that a native english speaker can teach you wrongly or misguide you or you may forget whatever the skills that you are having

05:05 PM Jan 02 2008 |