Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Values ARE important in our lifes

ali.badri

ali.badri

Morocco

To persuade your classmates that good personal values are important in our life??Smile your opinon

07:27 AM Nov 18 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

andy wu

andy wu

United States

Clarify "persuade" and "personal values" first before i can give you any opinion.

07:36 AM Nov 18 2007 |

ali.badri

ali.badri

Morocco

ok

07:41 AM Nov 18 2007 |

ali.badri

ali.badri

Morocco

values are referred to being the things we believes in and which we think are important honesty in one values ok

07:43 AM Nov 18 2007 |

ali.badri

ali.badri

Morocco

know give me your opinion.

07:43 AM Nov 18 2007 |

ali.badri

ali.badri

Morocco

Cry

07:50 AM Nov 18 2007 |

andy wu

andy wu

United States

"persuade classmate"  Do you mean hook up with chics?

07:55 AM Nov 18 2007 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I think that teaching values, at least from a more societal level like the school you mentioned, is less important than teaching critical thinking.  There are certain values, like belief in a meritocracy, pluralism, and egalitarianism, that tend to be characteristic of successful societies, and I believe that young people who are taught to think can be trusted to arrive to the conclusion that these values are worthwhile, because there is evidence to back them up.  Furthermore, I would trust them to be able to apply these values to new and varied situations on their own. 

So, I wouldn't worry so much about trying to persuade classmates to follow a particular path, rather than merely encouraging them to think about what they are doing and why they are doing it.  To the extent that good is transcendent, it will be available to the majority of people.

09:00 AM Nov 10 2010 |