Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Letters are not popular any more? sms and emails will replace that?

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I found some letters in the drawers when I cleaned my desk at office the other day, most of them were from my friends, and a couples were from my dad…I had a quick review of letters and noticed that dates were back 1997, 1998, and the lastest one was written in 2001.  I got a warm fuzzy feeling When I looked through the letters, to be honest, I was not so sure if I could still get letters, except for junk letters.  Writing letters seem weird nowadays with the sms and emails having becoming more and more popular.  I asked several coworkers around if any one of them still received letters or wrote letters, all of them gave me the same answer, "why still bother to write letters? it is so fast to send sms or give phone calls."

I do not know what to say, but to be honest, I missed the feelings when I received and read the letters, sms, or phone calls are different, even emails are different….they need to be deleted, or the voice is off when you hang up the phone. The familiar handwritings, the repeatability even after years, the concentration needed when you write the letters, all of them make the letter communications unique.

I rang up the guy whom I once wrote to so often, and told him that I dug up some letters by accident from him, and what I felt about that…we talked on the phone for almost one hour, till then I just realized that I had not phoned him for almost 1 year and we have been friends almost 20 years…the incessant hurry and trivial activity of daily life seems to prevent or at least discourage quiet and intensive thinking…I know, the hurry of city life can not be excuse…the same day I sent him a letter with white paper, since I could not find a sheet of letter paper around…funny…then I went to buy some letter papers and envelops the next evening, I was happy as I knew I can pick up something before it's too late…

Say out what you think…take care, be well…Sherry

03:57 AM Aug 02 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

email8191

email8191

China

Yes,i think so,sms and emails will replace letters.I have not received or wrote any letters for many years.I almost forgot the existence of post office.I will send sms to him or call him when i wanna contact somebody.Nowadays,communication is very convenient and quick,you'll  have various choices to keep in contact with your friends,for example,QQ,msn,sms,mobile telephone etc.Especially for our young guyes,we prefer the fashionable and quick way to enjoy our life.Letters,as a traditionary communicated way,will be the history…Merely my own opinions.Smile

10:59 AM Aug 03 2006 |

Phoebe Xu

Phoebe Xu

China

Hardly have I writen letter to my friends in lastest years. Email and Sms replace it.  letter need more time than SMS and email in tranfer. Most of us are accustomed to SMS,Tel and Email.

I like letter too, I will be very happy if I receive a letter from friends.It's evident that you are special to him  If someone is willing to take time to write to you.

On the other hand, handwriting is technology, special to chinese vocab.

07:21 AM Aug 04 2006 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Ohhh my Dear,You make me sad.

I really can't remember when I got a letter,because of your board I'm confused which one is important:technology or nostalgia.

Imagine,once upon a time there were a couple who loves eachother.But they were living at the seperately countries.There is no any e-mail,sms,postman,postoffice, and they don't know a dove which will carry their letters…......I guess,you understand me.Life goes on with changeover.My grandfather used to say ''time was better when I was young'',My father says ''time was better when I was young'' and I began to say ''time will be better when I am old''.

Take care.Be happy and health. BYE :)

08:29 PM Aug 05 2006 |

Tina Juan

Tina Juan

China

I received a lot of letters from my friend when I was in high school, but I hardly receive letters since I went to university. I miss the old days when I can read letters. I think the letters carry a lot of information. People write to you because they care about you and they are willing to spend time on writing to you. Now, everyting develop very fast. We can see eachother even when we are in different country because of the internet. We can chat on internet and get information we want. We can call someone when we want to hear his voice! It's so convinent! No one want to waste time on writing letters because everyone is buzy nowadays. The life pace is getting faster and faster and no one want to be left behind. The triditional way of communication is now replacing by these much more convinent ways. I want to write sometimes but the phnoe is just beside me! Should I borther to pick up the pen? Most of the time I give up because calling can save a lot of time and avoid misunderstanding.

It's just what I am thinking about it!

06:14 AM Aug 09 2006 |

luciferous

luciferous

China

I think it's terrible for me to think of that. When I have something to tell my friends, I will choose writing a letter to him,not use an inanimate sms or e-mail. Although it may be cheaper and faster than letter,but I think many people will be happy if they receive a letter from a far-away person,and they may collect their stamps. It must be the best memory for them.

10:46 AM Aug 09 2006 |

xiaomeng4140

China

just think about the last snail mail i sent,it really make my blood boil…............

i just cannot keep myself as cool as cucumber when my roommate tear it open and read it!!!

she interlopped my privacy!!!

12:27 PM Aug 10 2006 |

xiaomeng4140

China

of course i blew my top…..

12:31 PM Aug 10 2006 |

xiaomeng4140

China

and what's more i gave her a piece of my mind she would never forget…......

12:50 PM Aug 10 2006 |

monicalo

monicalo

Taiwan

It sounds meaningful to write a letter for your freinds.I still keep theose handwriting letters because it's rarely for me to receive it .If I have something to tell someone,I prefer to calling her or sending e-mail rather than using cell phone message.I don't know why but i do not like typing message on cell phone.It sounds so troublesome to me.Writing letters really need to waste more time than sending a e-mail.When you suddenly have anything to tell,you can just call him or send message to him. I don't think the other can really share what is on your mind in time by wrting a letter.

01:22 PM Aug 10 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

Thank you all who gave feedback to this topic! when I posted this topic, I was not trying to say which way is good or bad…just letters are still something special even in this modern society…yep, it's so true, we can call him/her when we miss somebody, sms, or email…so quick, so fast…but just like Phobe Xu said, when someone spends time writing a letter to you, it means you are special to him/her, you would love the feeling when you get the letter, especially, after months, years, when you clean your desk, and dig up these yellowish letters, what kind of feeling you would have? that's the very reason why I still have this NOSTALGIA (called by Zeus) for letters.  Try to send a letter to your special once in a while, sometimes with a lovely small card, or picture drawn by yourself, it will be a surprise to the one you care for very much…I still remember how one of my ex-coworker felt when she got a letter from a guy enclosing one picture he drew by himself, and one poem in the margin…I am so 100 percent sure that she would never dump this letter! it's the magic of the letters…;-)

Take care, be well….

09:19 AM Aug 25 2006 |