Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Which are the holidays of your country...

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

I have choosen this topic to know more & more about ourcultures… In India there are 15 national holidays & so many regional holidays..we shall share information..& every country has holidays … which are in your country…?

02:16 AM Jan 21 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

coastee

coastee

China

mid-autumn day..a symbol  of china ..

that day we have moon-cake .and waiting for our relatives,friends,son&daughter to go

home have a big dinner.

and a funny culture:cut down the moon-cake in many piece,each one have a piece

but still leave  a piece for a person who absent..to express the home-missing

it feels  so warm! Laughing

04:02 AM Jan 21 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

Hiii…devin, so many topics U offered in English Forum, very creative!!Cool. BTW, in my country, we also have many holidays..(it make us happy 'coz we'll free from office tasks, right??). ALmost all holiday is related to religion ritual.

There are 5 legitimate religions in my country (ISlam. Christian, Catholic, Hindu and Budha). they each have 2-3 ritual or kind of that, so no wonder if we have long holidays. BEside above religions, we also declare Chinese New Year (IMLEK). I love my government's policy about holidays, 'coz if there is one holiday, example: Thursday or Tuesday, so on Friday or Monday we'll free..Laughing

04:22 AM Jan 21 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Coastee..
It looks beautiful to celebrate natural phenomina… on what date this holiday falls …?
pop272001..I have controlled myself..otherwise I have too much to discuss.. actually I want dissolve all partions..I wish to be totally original.. It’s my madness…
I want to share the information about culture although it has meaning or no meaning…
I want to love all my friends..

06:39 AM Jan 21 2008 |

coastee

coastee

China

8.15 mid-autumn day!

moon cake is delicious.!Foot in mouth

07:02 AM Jan 21 2008 |

coastee

coastee

China

devin,how about urs? share with us ? 

07:04 AM Jan 21 2008 |

pop272001

pop272001

Indonesia

oops…sorry for Kong HuCU..I forgot!! (Thanks Kana, that's what friend are for!!Wink)

09:04 AM Jan 21 2008 |

chakra

chakra

Indonesia

Yes, the most interesting and longest holiday is the "Idul Fitri" or "Eid" when most people go back to their hometowns to celebrate with their dear and near ones. This holiday is not only celebrated by the Muslims but by everyone coz everything comes to a standstill for several days. This is the once in a year time when most housewives are left by their maids-who return to their villages to celebrate "Eid" with their families- and have to take care of the household chores themselves.

03:51 PM Jan 21 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

India is a country of holidays… all religions…so many castes… so many saints… so many politicians… & here is democracy..

So to oblige every one there are about 30to 35 holidays at least.. nownext holiday is jan26th,The republic day of India… 

06:03 PM Jan 21 2008 |

Linguist

Linguist

Russian Federation

The most loved holiday in Russia is the NY eve))) It can be celebrated during several days at a row. Ppl do crazy things, drink champaign, eat till they can't move anymore (which is traditional for any russian holiday), set fireworks and dance till the morn linght. But according to the old Juluis (if i'm not mistaken…if i am – tell me!) calendar, which is used by the Orthodox Church, the NY eve is a week after Christamas – on the 14th of January. So our ppl have another chance (another reason) to have fun and gather once again)))

12:41 PM Jan 22 2008 |