Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

LIFE IN CHINA

zars

zars

Mexico

Well, this post is for Chinese people.

Lately I realized that you're almost the half of the world population, so I have some questions that I would like to know about you.

do you think that living in china is great?

What do you think about your government?

According to what I have read, China will become the most powerful country in less than 10 years, even more powerful than US, so what do you think about this?

What do you think about wars??? Do you agree with North Korea that is testing nuclear bombs?

Well, that's all by now, but I still have other questions that I'd like to ask you, thanks in advance. 

06:51 PM Oct 19 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

candy_2050

candy_2050

China

sherryleio,I found your english is quite good. you are so kind to keep ZARS informed with our big China.

Dear Zars, that's a interesting topic. but I browsed the topic of page 1 and page 4. Time is not engouh . It seems they all write the perfect side of China more than the negative side. I have paid little attention to our political issues. here I just want to share my opinion of the living standard.

Frankly speaking,I don't think I am in a high living level and in a happy situation. of course i feel happy for our country has no war. but , most of my friends or colleagues or former classmates think our live under a big pressure. The house price are increasing so crazily. For example, we are from Continental China, after our gratulation we have no jobs so we went to shenzhen(south china) to look for a job. comparativly speaking, it has more chances and we can get more salary working here. but also it's a high level comsuption.  most of my friends get about RMB3000 per month. but the average house price here is about RMB10000. deduct the rent and the travel fee and eating expense, we have little left. we even can not afford an apartment after my working for six years. we are gratuated from Academy school and has a major. I think we the mid-level of chinese people. In shenzhen city, there are many workers get the much lower salary than us. how can they buy a house?

In my hometown, many children can not go to school. the parents are lacking of knowlege, there are little income resource. most of us have to send some money per month to our parents for their basic life demand. most of us think we are so tired, we have so much pressure. we get little money. although we are trying to learn more to take evening classes and try to improve ourselves. they are too many people in China. shenzhen is quite crowded, I like it, because it's cleaner and more prosperous than other cities. but I can not buy a house, I can not afford most of the payments.  if I go back hometown, what can I do? the salary will be lower too.

sometimes,we don't know where is the future. anyway,I am trying my best to learn more for a better life.(I think my thought here is a little confused ,pls forgive me!)

09:56 AM Nov 07 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Hey, thanks Candy for your explanation.

Don't you worry, it can be easily understood, and I see you have your problems as well as we do. I think the problem you mention above is a world problem. 

Nowadays it's really hard to get a "good" job, enterprises demmand you to have a lot of experience but they also want you to be young and of course just to make things interesting if you're young and you don't have experience you're not gonna receive a chance. 

I realise some things are really hard there, but there are good things and that happens everywhere, I mean maybe we don't have a population problem here or an strict birth control but we do have a employment problem and a huge security problem.

Well, talking about what you wrote, here in Mex there's a credit which is granted by our government in order that you can get your own place (house).

It takes in consideration some things like Period of time that you've been working, your age, gender, if you're married if you have children. Stuff like this and then if you have the minimum that's required, you can get your house.

Once you got your house, you have from 3 to 20 years to pay. 

So this is my next question, are there social help programs like these in China?

05:53 PM Nov 07 2006 |

candy_2050

candy_2050

China

Zars, actually, that's what I want to say yesterday but I forgot it.

Firstly, let's talk the subject of "government welfare house"You know HK came back China in 1997. but their policy are more mature I think. My HK colleague told me once she could earn little money and cannot afford a house. then their government can provide "special house" for them to live. although it's a small place but it's safe and clean the most important they only pay little rent. not free but much cheaper. So reduce the burden of the common workers.but in China, up to now it seems there is no such a policy. I hope maybe in the coming future it will be a reality. In my poor hometown, the poorest old people can get about RMB100 or so from the government a year if they have no children can support. In countryside of China, most of the people didn't have the awareness of buying insurance. so when they are getting old, they have to depend on their sons or daughters. surely, if our adult want to buy a house, we can make a loan from the bank. and we can pay it in the coming future with high interest.

Secondly, Let's go to the topic of "education". may countries have public school offering free education from primary school to highschool student.  China doesn't do this. we have to pay tutions all the time. of course many school has policy of scholarship to the excellent students, but it's far away enough. so many students can not continue the college life for the poor family. you know in China, we don't have the awareness that if you over 18years old you should live depend on yourself. most of us depend our parents to support the schooling. I do hope one day we can have free education policy for the basic 9 year study.

In additon, we see the "seeing a doctor". nowadays, many common workers don't dare to visit hospital. it's too expensive to see the doctor. especially in big cities. comparatively, many countries have free hospitalizing policy. many factory workers in my city onlyl get  less than RMB1000 per month, but always it will cost you RMB100 even you only catch the cold.

I think I have too many complaint about our country. some of my boss immigrant to Cananda. They said actually for adult it's nothing attractive to live there. they have language barrier and cultural barrier and other problems. but the policy of education or hospitalizing and living condition are better than that of China, so it's helpful for their children living there.

Fortunately, more and more people are paying more attention to the poors especially the countryside childrens. some groups are established by the volunteers to offer help to them. and if someone suffered a severe disease, they can call for help through media or internet, and many kind people will show their compathy.

I talked a lot above. Have a rest. wish you a nice day!

02:16 AM Nov 08 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

6 years ago, I bought my first house at USD35,000, 80 square meters, building area.  My second house was USD100, 000, 140 square meters around, a very nice house locating at one hill, I bought it Feb this year, and I am now DEEP IN DEBT.  My place is Shenzhen, one southern city.  Some houses in my neighbourhood costed USD400,000, 250 to 300 square meteres. Now price is still keeping up, same area, may cost more.

07:53 AM Nov 08 2006 |

sherryleio

sherryleio

China

I am not sure if Zar's talking about the bank load we get when we buy the houses. If yes, the answer to his question is YES too.  Most of us, especially young people, 20% to 30% is our savings, and 70% to 80% are from the bank loan.

The price of houses are soaring, it is not only happening in China, the root cause is the land resources.  HK's price for houses are 10 times of Shenzhen, neighbouring HK, where Candy is living, by chance, I am living here too.  I am working in a HK company, so I know these HK guys are getting more pressure than our mainland people.

The medical insurance, etc, is not mature at all in China, I think it invloves the system change.  In my parent's generation, the companies paid for everything, medical checking, seeing doc, even their kids' kindergarten.  In the past years, private business has replaced the nation/state enterprises, and the bosses are not willling to cover the costs.  So this tough huge task is being taken care of by our goverment. During this transition, there are lots unpleasant and saddening things. I still remember when the Soviet Unions split, how things had become aweful, but their ppl survived, we should have faith to our goverment.

Candy might come from the countrysides, maybe she has seem much more than I do, I think the things she is saying is ture, but I think her views are kinda pessimistic.  Just like I mentioned in one of my postings, the gap between the rich and the poor is getting larger and larger, and most of the poor are referring to the ppl in the remote countrysides.  Actually this issue is getting big attention from our goverment and they have been giving as much as support to the countrysides, and some are getting progresses.  Most of my relatives are in the countrysides, and I know their life is geting better.

Here I'd like to take an example, maybe our parents are not the best dad and mom in the world, but only if they are trying to be good, we should stand up for them, and we are not supposed to choose ESCAPE. Well we all know, ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY, and every country has its own problems.

07:53 AM Nov 08 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Thanks for the info.

I agree, each country has its own problems, hope you can solve them out soon in order that your sons can live a better life.

Now that you mention about the education yeah we're very lucky, our government give it to us "for free". They say is for free but we always must spend "extra charges" anyway the most of people can afford them.

How much does a house cost there? Here you can buy a house for 10,000 US$, if you wanna a very nice house, it would cost you from 50,000 to 100,000 US$.

07:00 PM Nov 08 2006 |

candy_2050

candy_2050

China

smile:)

A new happy day.

01:22 AM Nov 09 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

35000 USD Wow, you can buy a really big and nice house here with that. With 100,000 USD you'd buy the nicest and biggest house in the neighborhood.

I saw in the news that there was fight because the government took some terrains and didn't pay enough to the former owners. Hope everything turns out OK

05:22 PM Nov 10 2006 |

jiangly

jiangly

China

I want to say sth else about China
I’m a chinese college student now and I do want to know more about other countrys when compared with China.
I see from movies that both UK,US,CANADA,and many other countrys have beautiful city or town esp UK,but in china Citys are all poluted very much.IF in this respect every conutry is just the same so i think the enviroment in China is being destryed more than any other countrys due to the fast developing enconemic maby. since i’ve grown up in countryside the enviroment there is getting worse! I always think it’s better in many foreign country.
secendly, I don’t know our goverment is good or not cause i never lived in a foreign country.I just want to say that our leaders are so boring ,they always say the same thing just like reading a script and not once but many times! I think they are not humans they like machine more! THE uk president Blare will do better ,i like his words hearing his speech just like hearig a song!
thirdly,I want to say the education.We are taught to believe the communitism since we are very young,we are taught we humanbeings are all evolved from monkey,we can hear the voice everyday that how evil the USA is.We are forced to accept many things but most of us never realised that! We can never see sth art work or writings against community party.MOST CHINESE PEOPLE DON’T HAVE ANY BELIEFE ,the moral standard is becoming lower and lower!!
all i say don’t mean i don’t love my country,I just want my country becoming better but i’m very dissapointed in the situation now.
I wish u could hear more voice from wo chinese It’s not always so good!

07:52 AM Nov 14 2006 |

zars

zars

Mexico

Thanks for replying.

I didn't know there was a lot of pollution, I thought it was a clean country. Well the truth is that all the world is being destroyed those "human beings" who really don't care about it at all.

Now we're living in Mexico a political fight, we just had elections and the loser now is claiming he's the winner and he suffered a fraud, of course he's wrong. He lost because he didn't know how to take advantage of his political image and drive well his campaign.

Now the problem is that he's planning to take possession as a president next Monday and this is really dangerous because he's taking advantage of the poor people, he's promising them, he will give them money or terrains, a lot of things that he could never achieve. Even if the country would recognize him as a president there are the two chambers that (I personally think) have more power than the president himself and they are not controlled by only one political force but many.

I can't picture what's what he really wants, maybe a war, perhaps money, because he's acting so irresponsible. This is why I think each country has its own problems to solve.

About moral, yeah it's losing the war. People are losing essence. Beliefs little by little are staying on the past. We're losing the true meaning of life. Will we let it go or fight to get it back???

11:02 PM Nov 14 2006 |