Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

source of morality

gkisseberth

Germany

You can argue that morality is relative or absolute, or argue that no one can really know what morality is, but if you believe that morality exists… what is the source?

Why do people behave (or not behave) in a moral fashion.

To put it more simply…. why are people good or bad? 

04:39 PM Mar 12 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Alebaby

Alebaby

Chile

Hey Greg, I think it comes from the environment you develop in, your home, your friends, your school, church (if you attended church or if they made you go to church, like me).  It has nothing to do with social status, your behaviour is a consecuence of "other's behaviour", the people who surrounded you when little… well until you reach puberty and are able of abstract thinking, that's when you decide which way to go, if "good" works or not for you, that's what I think Laughing

06:54 PM Mar 12 2008 |

THE_ONE

THE_ONE

Israel

CryCool

07:58 PM Mar 12 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Thanks, Ale…

I'm kind of getting at the fact that there seem to be some universal standards for moral behavior. If you agree that there are, where do you think they come from? 

09:39 PM Mar 12 2008 |

Alebaby

Alebaby

Chile

Well, some books say "culture", in the sense of customs, beliefs, education, upbringing,  etc.  We are tought what is accepted or not, what's good and bad, that's the base, and then we choose sides…..okay I'm kind of repeting myself so I'll stop now … Laughing

11:22 PM Mar 12 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Many people don't have to be "taught" that hurting others or killing them is bad. That sharing is good. That incest is bad. 

I think most moral codes are based on something similar to "the golden rule"

Where do these instincts come from? 

12:31 AM Mar 13 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

it comes from somthing called in

Arabic (fetrah) . but you will

not interested in it i think . so I will not try to explain what does it meen ?

have fun , and be free  .  you have no religin

01:21 AM Mar 13 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

monatta, I would be interested. You're right, I have no religion, but it doesn't mean I can't be curious and interested in what you think or believe.

Blitzkrieg: That's a good argument. So do you think all humans share the same moral code then? How do you explain the differences among cultures when it comes to something like, for example, female genital mutilation. In most cultures it is seen as something abhorent and morally wrong. In other cultures, it's the normal and right thing to do. Why the difference? 

01:29 AM Mar 13 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

morality has nothing to do with female genital mutilation

it is  the customs which make   some nation eccept it

10:54 PM Mar 14 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Monatta, do you think FGM is a morally correct act?

I understand that some cultures accept it as so, and other do not. Why do you think there is a difference between these cultures in what is morally acceptable?

11:37 PM Mar 14 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

it is morally uncorrect because of its consequences.

and the difference is because of the lack of knowledge . even if they knew the bad reasult of such bad custom like FGM  .  they con't leave it  at all .

always there are some people unable to opposite the customs , they are weeker than having  such decision ,

customs has its power . do you agree with me ? not all people can leave it easily

11:43 PM Mar 14 2008 |