Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Talk about United States

angievanh12

United States

Hi My name is Angelia everyone and I just opened this post to see if any of you wanted to know about the United State if you have any ?s fill free to ask anything thanks angieLaughing

08:26 PM Oct 31 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

acid_cndate

China

There are so many English words. Could you tell me that how many words does an adult in the USA  know ? I have read the poem below, and there are so many new words to me. Could you tell me what do you think of it?

"Raise me a dais of silk and down;

Hang it with vair and purple dyes;

Carve it with doves and pomegranates

And peacocks with a hundred eyes;

Work it in gold and silver grapes,

In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;

Because the birthday of my life

Is come, my love is come to me."

thank you.

02:59 AM Nov 01 2006 |

angievanh12

United States

Which words are you talking about???? If you let me know I will tell you what they mean, new words here in America are discovered every day.

Angelia

03:43 PM Nov 01 2006 |

acid_cndate

China

Sorry, I want to know if a native English speaker can read that poem without using a dictionary, and how many words I should remember. Could you tell me?Thank you.

12:00 AM Nov 02 2006 |

acid_cndate

China

Chinese characters

03:41 AM Nov 06 2006 |

acid_cndate

China

It really is a hard queation to answer. I have asked one of my  teachers from CANADA, he told me that sometimes he guess the means of words.And acutally I donnot know how many Chinese characters that I know either. 

03:56 AM Nov 06 2006 |

Michale

Germany

Hi Angie 

I have a lot of questions concerning life in the United States…

First of all where do you live and how many other people live in your town?Cool How did 9/11 affect your daily life? 

I have many more questions but I don't want to ask them in only one mail, it would be too much.

Many regards from Germany 

10:14 AM Nov 12 2006 |

Violapanda

Violapanda

China

which city r u from?can you introduce your city?hehe~

01:54 PM May 21 2007 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

"Raise me a dais of silk and down;

Hang it with vair and purple dyes;

Carve it with doves and pomegranates

And peacocks with a hundred eyes;

Work it in gold and silver grapes,

In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;

Because the birthday of my life

Is come, my love is come to me."

I want to know if a native English speaker can read that poem without using a dictionary, and how many words I should remember. Could you tell me?

Well, I would guess that many teen-aged kids would not know some of the words. I doubt they'd know what a "fleur-de-lys" is.  Or "vair". Maybe not even "dais". I had to look-up "vair". I don't think the others are too uncommon. You'd be expected to have all these words in your vocabulary by the time you were a grad student.

The images created might take awhile to get. You're doing good if you know all these words now. Words grouped together in English are meant to connote something more than the individual words describe. It is the same with Chinese characters, I think.

11:01 PM May 21 2007 |

cateyes

cateyes

Thailand

Angievanh12…..im from Thailand :D

What do you think about lifestyle in USA? How many yers have usa citizen spent in school?For us, we spend at least 16 years for study at school to university.

07:06 AM Jun 08 2007 |

Lily :)

Lily :)

Russian Federation

Hi Angelia! I'm from Russia. I want to ask you a question about American friendship and hospitality… You know here in Russia it's normal to come to our friends' place without asking them in advance just to chat or have tea… Or if under some circumstances you don't have a place to live for some days, it's most likely that your friends gladly allow you to stay with them. But one French girl told me that in France if you want to come to see your friend you should call him in advance and ask whether you can do it. And they will treat it as impudence if you've come to have tea and stay longer… So for them their home is something very personal and they reluctantly let people visit it, even if these people are their friends (I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but that French girl told me this). For me it's quite strange because in Russia our homes are open to our friends.

And I wonder if the situation is the same in the USA? Or it's more similar to French one?

I'm looking forward to you answer =) Thanks

09:35 PM Jul 22 2007 |