Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

culture? why girls wear low-cut dress?

Luke

Luke

China

I have no idea that why girls wear low-cut dress or low dress? to show her breast? or  means freedom?  Could someone explain it?

08:14 AM Mar 21 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

You know, when Europeans first arrived in the Caribbean, they were shocked that the native peoples just went around naked!  Even though the climate of the area meant there was no need for clothes at any time of year, the Europeans thought it was so strange that the natives did not wear clothes. They said that it must be a sign that these people were less civilized, maybe even less developed, then Europeans. 

Of course, at the same time, they noticed that crimes of sexual assault, rape, violence, theft, etc. were almost completely unknown.  These people, they said, were absolutely innocent, and completely moral.  Yet, they went around naked. How to explain this?

Today we know that those natives were just as human as any of us today.  So, we can see that clothing, in and of itself, does not determine morality or actions.   It is possible to have a naked society and a moral society, although having a naked society wouldn't be nice for me, personally.  

12:26 AM Nov 23 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

"They like to feel confident"

confident by showing their ass…then bikini give more confidance….no no animals r so confident coz they wear nothing!!!!Laughing...

"that is a problem with the man, not the woman"..

i ve a theraby for that craziness..men take estorgene hermones … thus their illness when they saw naked women will be remedied ….Surprised

"modest"...

it is an elastic word….i ve read replies from fathers about bikini and thong for their girls ….some prefer bikini …but don't like thong to them???!!!!..the defference is some centimeters…Innocent

"they want to show their freedom"...
what about the complete freedom…Wink...

"Personally, it is not a problem for me"

the problem with youth whose testeterone is normal…but we found the solution ESTROGENEKiss

"although having a naked society wouldn't be nice for me,"
why?!!!!....Cry

06:51 AM Nov 23 2008 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

confident by showing their ass…then bikini give more confidance….no no animals r so confident coz they wear nothing!!!!Laughing

Have you ever worn a good suit before?  Even though it is just clothes, and theoretically, no different from any other clothes, it makes someone feel more confident.  Thinking "I look great" is wonderful for confidence.  

Clothes are different depending on the situation.  On a beach, yes, bikinis can be great for confidence and be appropriate.  I live close to a beach, and seeing girls in bikinis is normal.  I don't know any boy, even some little 13 year old, that is corrupted by seeing a girl in a swimsuit.  

i ve a theraby for that craziness..men take estorgene hermones … thus their illness when they saw naked women will be remedied ….Surprised

You know, soy has estrogen ^ But seriously, the cure for that craziness is just for the parents to teach their boys some basic respect for ALL women, as opposed to just the "proper" ones. 

it is an elastic word….i ve read replies from fathers about bikini and thong for their girls ….some prefer bikini …but don't like thong to them???!!!!..the defference is some centimeters…

Right, modesty is an elastic word.  What is modest to you is not necessarily modest to your neighbor.  But if you merely learn to mind your own business, then there is no problem.  society will take care of itself.

So, for example, you wonder, why is nudity unacceptable.  Well, first of all, weather is a problem ^ But more importantly, that is my own personal standard.  It is not based on what God wants, or anything like that, just on what I feel is acceptable.  I see girls and guys dressed strangely all the time, in ways i might not approve of, but it is their right to dress how want. 

Clothes are culturally loaded, as I said.   But if you have some self-control, then seeing a woman's hair or her belly shouldn't be a problem for you.  Even if you are a youth with testosterone.

07:05 AM Nov 23 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

" I don't know any boy, even some little 13 year old, that is corrupted by seeing a girl in a swimsuit."

then why i find ur (civilized cultures) movies, magazines , websites, bars, cazino, advertisments….and so on, crazy with sex…
virginty has vanished in ur country….
then ur words endicate either u live not in our real world, or u r bluffing us….dear.
or the hermone testeterone there r not original (fake).....then u can import orginal ones…hahahaWink

07:46 AM Nov 23 2008 |

zezem

zezem

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

In my opinion sober and demure ladies don't wear it.

10:08 AM Nov 23 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

and u will not understand anything she wrote….she paste any words beside each other…many before u said that sentence..
"what? i didnt understand…"

02:51 PM Nov 23 2008 |

kaptivate

Morocco

as far as i'm concerned girls' hopes are to seduce boys and never let them have a nice sleep,

i wonder if it's cold and rainy sometimes, and even though you can recognize some cute girls on the street wearing low-cut dress, i've got the courage to ask one of them one day. don't u feel cold? she said; unfortunately i'm so hot. then i said it's absolutely clear. they captivate us. come on girls you game is over

02:52 PM Nov 27 2008 |

flymind

China

I think it depends on personality . I never wear low cut dress , although my stature is very good,today , girls can choose whatever they like , at the sametime the choices are become more and more.

03:12 PM Nov 27 2008 |

Berchta

Berchta

Indonesia

Maybe it's because the weather! If they use it in winter or just to show "hers"(u know what) It's crazy!

02:46 PM Dec 12 2008 |

Casiol

Casiol

Malaysia

maybe because it's a trend

or maybe they feel comfortable with that appearance :D

but women must realize of what kind of clothes really suit to them, otherwise they just show their flaws n fats all over XD

as long as they feel comfortable, i don't mind if my friends were wearing like that, but a big NO for my muslim friends :D

04:20 PM Dec 12 2008 |