Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Earthquake in Colombia

gkisseberth

Colombia

an hour ago there was a 5.6 magnitude earthqauke centered about 50 km from Bogota. We definitely felt it here. I had just gotten off the elevator and gone into my apartment when it started. My building was shaking and swaying for about 40 seconds. 

There are a few small towns or villages near the epicenter, and no reports yet of any deaths. Not much here in Bogota, but the news is showing some minor damage to a few buildings and some areas have lost power.

A very strange experience to be sure.  

08:27 PM May 24 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Colombia

I really have no idea what that would have felt like at the epicenter. But just the tremors here were a little scary. 

News reports are saying that 3 are dead and 11 injured from rock slides on a highway near the epicenter, a church was seriously damaged and some other minor damage. It could have been worse as it was only 50km from Bogota and 30km from another city.  

02:20 AM May 25 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

OMG Greg thank God you're ok!!!!!!!

is that why you cant get on in YM? 

04:09 AM May 25 2008 |

JANE-BABY

JANE-BABY

China

I am really sorry to hear it.

There was a 8.0 magnitude earthquake in sichuan in china.nearly ten thousand person will be deaded in this calamity.I don't know where is wrong in earth.hope everything will better and better.Pray the Colombia is well.

04:43 AM May 25 2008 |

LearnSmart

Venezuela

Wow! I didn't know that! And we are neighbors!

Sorry to hear that!

--

Learn English 

06:05 PM May 26 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

Sorry to hear that..

it's horrible…so many disasters…..

01:54 AM May 29 2008 |

yangli3586099

China

God bless you!

May be there'll have more and more disasters.THE earth be hurted and he became angry.

02:44 AM May 29 2008 |

slipaway

China

Precise prediction and further research of all the natural disasters is in urgence. human being in front of objective nature seems trivial, all we need to do is to try our best to avoid them. Blessing friends all OK.

05:29 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

what do think about the movie of the day after tomorrow?

we all know that underline magma avtivity causes earthquakes and volcanoes. how about the role of human activity? i am from China, sichuan province of our country has just suffered a huge earthquake, and a lot of people think that Three Gorges project is connected with the disaster, what is your comment about this? 

05:40 AM Jun 01 2008 |

gkisseberth

Colombia

what do think about the movie of the day after tomorrow?

I thought it was a horrible movie and very very very bad science.  

11:22 AM Jun 01 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

a very strange experience to be sure. that is absolutely  true. i have passed with nearly the same experience.my family and i didn't understand what is happening at the right moment.when we  got it and went out of the house ,it stopped moving. if it was stronger or lasted more,i'm sure we could pass away.some people died in a town next to ours.  there were terrible earthquakes in algeria.some of them demolished some towns completly.fortunatety i haven't witnessed them but some of my relatives  have.they needed psychatrists to help them live without  horrible anxieties

02:35 PM Jun 01 2008 |