Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An Analogy

aljensen

aljensen

United States

You go to a party.

You see there is a pretty girl at the party, you are attracted to her. She is different and unusual.

But all she does is talk about herself.

She tells everyone about how wonderful she is, about how smart she is, and about how famous and rich she is going to become.

Then, she starts to whine and complain:

Some people have insulted her, or made fun of her behind her back. All she does is repeat and repeat the insults that some strangers have said about her, and she keeps asking, "Can you believe that? Can you believe they said that about me? How DARE they talk that way about me?"

Then she screams, "WHY DOES EVERYONE INSULT ME?"

You cannot understand why she is so upset. The people who have made fun of her are not even at the party.

You compliment her and say, "Well, you are very beautiful."

And she says, "Yes, I know."

Some people at the party start to get annoyed, because this girl seems very arrogant, and even a little bit scary. She is way too angry for no reason.

So they ask her to leave.

She gets very upset. She starts to scream, "I KNEW YOU WERE ALL AGAINST ME. Well, I am going to be the RICHEST and most POWERFUL woman EVER. You will all be sorry. I will make it so that you can never make fun of me or insult me ever again!"

But before she leaves, she then says in a very sweet voice, "Oh, by the way, everybody here is cordially invited to a nice summer party I am throwing this August. Please come!!!"

Then she slams the door and walks out.

04:57 PM May 28 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

aljenson  ,  

you are so claver  , this is a very good analogy .  it is a hiding advice for a very sensetive folk 

I got your point very clearly  ,  and know for sure who do you mean  . it is not the girl  ,  not the USA  ,   but  group of people .  am I right ?

any way , you are right . and I will keep this in my mind  .

08:47 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

I don't know what he really means, we just gave a guess. anyway, such a guess is a fact no matter of the analogy above. we have to accept such a truth. it is only a plain decription. i'd like to say the open assimilating culture is really great, although i mentally don't want to mention and accept.

09:00 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

monatta, maybe you are right. i was somewhat sensitive and gave the instantaneous comments. such a girl can sure be explained as a group of people. and it makes sense also as to the US. it is only a explanation without any political and religious sensation.

it is a good analogy.

09:07 AM Jun 01 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

slipaway, I don't think your analysis holds up. Certainly, the US is subject to a lot of criticism, deserved or not, but Americans don't seem to me to be complaining types, feeling persecuted or slighted by insulted. We are more of a "if you don't like us, too bad" type of people. Arrogant, many would say   ;)

Why do you think it is ridiculous for smart people around the world to want to live in a place that, as you say, is the most powerful and wealthiest place in the world? 

11:26 AM Jun 01 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

So the party would commence on 8 August 2008??

11:41 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

ridiculous lies in the contradiction that, on one hand the smart people are blaming american arrogant claims and behaviors, and on the other, they want to get into the US.

11:53 AM Jun 01 2008 |

slipaway

China

Mike, do you mean Olympic? Welcome to Beijing :)

11:55 AM Jun 01 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

well slipaway, that seems to be normal human behavior, eh? Many people secretly want to be what they criticize. 

11:58 AM Jun 01 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

Thanks slipaway..
Olympics’d be great without sharon stone on it..=)

12:05 PM Jun 01 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

yeah gkissberth, smtimes I hate skillfull gamers..

12:08 PM Jun 01 2008 |