Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Liu Xiang withdrew from the 110m hurdle 劉翔退出了!

Cecilia Yip

Hong Kong

I'm really feeling upset and depressed for his withdrawal. I knew that his right leg's got injured years ago
, and I didn't expect him to get the gold medal again. But I've never thought of this situation in which he cannot continue the match and has to quit.

I know that every Chinese is feeling disappointed, some even blamed him for the failure and said he was 'pretending if he's got injured'. But I know he has tried his best and it must be a really hard decision for him to decide to withdraw at the last moment.

Don't you see him kicking hard on the wall just before the game? It's because he's feeling angry! Why is it so? Just because he really want to attend the game but he knew his condition is not good.

I know the majority can understand his reason, and I hope the Chinese who have blamed him can think about one thing: if you were him, could you think of a better choice? What else can you do?

01:01 PM Aug 18 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Anthem

Anthem

China

Yes,many people feel sorry for Liu Xiang .If I were him,I would do the same.One's body is not made by iron and it is very common to get injured.So we should not force a injured man to compete for the gold medal.I think we should care our athlete rather than the gold medal.

02:17 PM Aug 18 2008 |

liarhooligan

China

he can't afford too much now.  let him take a break.

what he contributes to China, to Asia, even to the whole world is priceless.

04:05 PM Aug 18 2008 |

yilonglucky

China

I feel sooooooooooo disappointed 2!!!And so is the entire country,and Asia!

Few people criticize or blame that Liu should not had quitted the game.As Yip said,what would u do if u were in the same situation!!!

In my opinion,we r not supposed to focus so much press on Liu.No matter what Liu chose,I will trust and support him all the same!

Liu once brought us joy,encouragement,confidence,hope…..he is still the hero in our heart even though he couldn't get the medal!

Liu Xiang,cheer up!刘翔,加油!

04:15 PM Aug 18 2008 |

kakarote

kakarote

China

i don't want to give any comment about his withdraw, it's his choice. but if it is me, i think i'll stick to the last minut, although you can't make a good grade but you've do your best, it is olympic spirit, isn't it?   

04:16 PM Aug 18 2008 |

worldmikel

worldmikel

United States

Pressure is different when it happens to you. Nobody really knows how another feels. In events like the Olympics, each individual decides their fate. I'm sure he's famous enough that despite this upset his future is assured and should be much better than many in China. 

Two weeks ago I didn't know who Michael Phelps was. Today he's famous and probably for the rest of his life. Even those that don't get medals are rather lucky and should cherish this moment in time. How great it is to travel to Beijing for these Olympics!

04:30 PM Aug 18 2008 |

apple_lee

apple_lee

China

I think he will be better soon,so,just don't stay in the sad ,erveryone,every chinese,let's hope he will better soon.

06:37 AM Aug 19 2008 |

loveOK

loveOK

China

Very sad,but I have no idea

07:50 AM Aug 19 2008 |

Cecilia Yip

Hong Kong

re小伊:

He should have withdrawn from the game much earlier. It is impossible that he didn't understand what his condition was. The only reason why he chose to stay is that he didn't want the Chinese to feel disappointed. if it's not one of the competitors who has got a false start, he should have attended the game. It was the delay that made him realize he could afford no more.

Do you know what the consequences will be if he force himself attending the game? The doctor said he might be cannot  continue to be an athlete

Is that what you want? To sacrifice one's whole life for a spirit that you don't even understand very well?

03:22 PM Aug 19 2008 |

Cecilia Yip

Hong Kong

Anyway, his starting point is just that he didn't want the Chinese to feel disappointed, he believed that he could overcome the pain.

If I have to tell any of his faults, I can just tell that he is too confident in controlling his health. 

02:38 PM Aug 20 2008 |

yaya_lee_candy

China

to  kakarote,

i don't agree with your opinion!

do you konw any messages about liuxiang's injury?his foot was really hurt,and the doctore said if liuxiang stick to run, he might hurt worse and couldn't run again.that's not olympic spirit,OK?what the decision liuxiang made is right,that means liuxiang know how to take care of himself.healthy is much more important than a gold madal.what we concern about is liuxiang, not a gold medal.

04:53 PM Aug 21 2008 |