Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

About your contry

daniloprates

Brazil

Hi everyone,

Let´s talk about our cultures and costumes.

How do you make/say/do in your country:

. Greetings
. Birthday
. Leisure
. Food
. Some special in your country
.What else? Feel free to talk about your culture, your country. Let´s talk!

06:51 PM Mar 12 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

daniloprates

Brazil

I link to know about other countries. I always have an distorted image of them. 

06:52 PM Mar 12 2007 |

daniloprates

Brazil

. Greetings
In Brazil, it is common to give 2 or 3 social kisses, in the cheek, if the people never met before. And If they know themselves, they hug themselves. I know that it´s not common in most of the countries.

. Birthday
In Brazil, we sing the same song of the americans, but we have other lirycs. I´ll try to translate it, rsss:

"Happy Birthday to you, in this "wanted" day, so many happiness, many years of life"
Then somebody says: "For the (His/her name) Nothing!"
Everybody say: "Everything! (His/her name a lot of times)". It´s funny! :)

. Leisure
Not me, but the most part of the brazilians like to wath brazilian´s Soap operas from "Rede Globo" www.globo.com.br. They like to wath football (soccer), to go tho the beach (I like too :D ), etc

. Food
Here it´s commom to eat rice and bean with some meat, like cow, chicken or fish, and salad.
How we are a miscigened country, here there is food from almost all other countries, mainly italian and japanese food (that I luvvv!), but also have chinese, korean, german, indian and, obviously, American food (McDonald´s, Burger King, etc…).

. Some special in your country
What I think is special in Brazil, is the nature and our people. Brazil has the biggest forest of the world, Amazon. It has thousand of kilometros of the coast, with beautiful beaches.

.What else? Feel free to talk about your culture, your country. Let´s talk!

12:03 AM Mar 13 2007 |

Ulriika

Ulriika

Sweden

In sweden we just say Hi. Or "Hej" in swedish.
The girls often hug eachother, or even kiss eachother if they're good friends.

In our birthdays we're making cakes and give presents. We are also singing songs, but there are many differents.

We're very boring in sweden, but ofcours we do a lots of different stuffs. :)

Oh. We eat usual stuffs I guess. But some classic swedish food is "palt"(Can't explain :p, but most of the palteaters are in the north), "Köttbullar"(meatballs), "kroppkakor"(Almost as "palt", but it's eaten in the whole country), fläskpannkaka(panncakes with meat).

Sweden..We haven't so much exciting things in sweden. In north, the people are nicer.(If I get to say it) x) And ofcourse: Ikea. :) And we use Å Ä Ö.

09:22 PM Mar 13 2007 |

andalucia7

andalucia7

Morocco

Hi everybody..
well..to start with I see that talking about my mother-country MOROCCO is so long because it’s a country which knew lots of civilizations which Could govern or even take part in living in it..whether MUSLIMS=98% or jews=1,5 and christian=0,5..when we talk about morocco,We directly remember ANDALUCIA (SPAIN)..We remember (Tarik-ben-ziad),Ibn-batouta,AL-sharef AL-idrissi(=this later,was the first learned who drew a map for the world) and many more..Inland,you Can simply discover the fascinating atmosphers in each city..berbers and arabs live in peace for many ceinturies under the name of tolerant and ISLAM.In addition to this,one of the most wonderful desert around the world is in morocco which whith green mountains..you Can find mountains with snow!and beside them a vast part of green spaces..it’s a country with all seasons..and people are nice.they’ll not hesitate to show hospitality because they’re simply a realistic and warm-hearted!..I think the moroccan food’s well known around the world..that’s why is classified in the third 3 rank of cuisine.”COUSCOUS,HARIRA and TAGINE”..as for drinks,you can find TEA in each home..our official wearing is really wonderful and special..I think having the chance to visit morocco would be a great step for everyone whom is interested in finding out the different architecture and the groovy treasures..I think I’ve to stop now even though there’s a lot to say..
my msn’s: waykiki2006 (@) hotmail.com
ABDELLAH

12:27 AM Mar 14 2007 |

daniloprates

Brazil

Nice andalucia7, you told us almost the Morocos history. Good to know.

Ulriika, I really don´t know how do you can use so many letters in the words, rsss. We use some diferent characters too, like á, à, é, ó and ç....

03:18 PM Mar 14 2007 |

daniloprates

Brazil

Hi ABDELLAH,

One week ago, I went to downtown and saw the Morocco´s Consulate build. It´s very beautfil, imponent and huge.

When I saw it, I remembered your post in this topic.

07:04 PM Apr 22 2007 |

berbere

berbere

Algeria

Hello,i'm Hocine from Algeria,this is a flah history about Algeria and Berbere people.220 before J.C.: Syphax, king of Numides Massaessyles. 218 before J.C.: Second Punic War. Hannibal crosses the Alps and occupies the valley of Pô. 204 before J.C.: The Roman General P. Cornelius Scipion (Scipion the African) is combined with Massinissa against the troops united of Syphax and Carthage 203 before J.C.: Defeat of Syphax. Massinissa annexes Cirta and makes its capital 174-150 of it before J.C. : Massinissa gradually takes again the cities and the territories under dominations Carthaginian. 150 before J.C.: War punico-numide. The Carthaginians are crushed in Zama. 148 before J.C.: Died of Massinissa. Divide Massyle Kingdom between its sons. 146 before J.C.: Destruction of Carthage. Beginning of the Roman occupation in North Africa (creation of the province of Africa). 134 before J.C.: Jugurtha, nephew of Micipsa, are distinguished with the seat from Numance, in Spain. 118 before J.C.: Died of king Micipsa. Jugurtha is associated the businesses of the kingdom. 116 before J.C.: Jugurtha drives out its co-heirs and unifies Numidie. Arbitration of Rome which divides the country. 112-104 before J.C.: War counters the Romans. After a long Jugurtha resistance is delivered by his/her father-in-law Bocchus, king of Maurétanie. Beginning of Ier S. before J.C.: Reign of the vassal kings.

02:32 PM Jun 07 2007 |

Devilpierre

France

French is a  country of big badger because asnl 54 5plfor exemple what you can find in this forum.

Fr

09:10 AM Jun 08 2007 |

berbere

berbere

Algeria

second part

Roman colonization and the Berber résistence Towards 82 before J.C. : Hiarbas unifies Numidie. It is relieved by the Romans. 46 before J.C.: Defeat of Juba Ier, annexation of Rome: creation of the Roman province of Africa Nova. 25 before J.C.: Advent of Juba II in Maurétanie. 17-24 after J.C. : Revolt of Takfarinas 42: Annexation of Maurétanies: creation of the Roman provinces of Maurétanie Tingitane (western) and Maurétanie Caesarean (center). 45: Insurrection of the Moors and the numides. 85-86: Rising in Maurétanie and in Large Syrte. Towards 100: Beginning of Christianity. 118: Insurrection in Maurétanie. 202: Severe Septime prohibited the Christian worship. Religious persecution in Africa. 244: Revolt of Arabion. 298-99: Insurrection in Numidie and Maurétanie. Towards 305: Beginnings of the donatism. 313: Edict of fine Constantin putting at persecutions against the Christians. Triumph over Catholicism. Development of the donatism. Towards 340: Revolt circoncillions. 347: Alliance of Donatistes and of circoncillions against the Roman capacity.

04:45 PM Jun 09 2007 |

kholly

kholly

Philippines

Hello everyone!
kholly here from the Philippines.
Just want to share some Filipino cultures and practices with you guys.
. Greetings
It’s normal to say hello or hi to the person you already know. If you meet someone new it’s common to exchange sweet smiles.
. Birthday
Birthday celebration here in the Philippines is very similar with that of the United States. Celebrator usually receives presents from her close friends and family. Usually the parents or friends of the celebrator organize a small party or even a big part depends on the social status of the family.
. Leisure
Filipinos love watching soap operas, sports, beaches, and some outdoor activities that would kill their time
. Food
We love to eat meat and vegetables. We have this very filipino cuisine called ADOBO. It’s very delicious.
Hope I’ve shared a lot.
I’ll try to talk about Philippine culture next time.

02:55 PM Jun 13 2007 |