Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Female Circumcision in Sudan and Egypt

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

Todoy i entered a semposium in an University..And I was one of teenager that talked about Human's Right.

My subject was about Iraq and USA.. So i didn't search other countries…

There was a group there, talked about Human's Right in SUDAN…(the most developing country in Africa)  (!!)

They talked about something that i have never heard before… It is >> Female Circumcision

When i heard them, I really felt myself too terrible and upset..

Owww Nothing can be worse than this… Any of human can't do it with a peacefull heart.. :( I am sitll in shock now.. :S

And i wanna share them with you..

_____

Female Circumcision in Sudan

Female circumcision—also known as female genital mutilation—is widely practiced in some parts of Sudan.Information about attitudes toward the practice, the reasons why women support it and the social and demographic predictors associated with support for it are needed for development of eradication strategies. .

Methods: In a survey on reproductive health, approximately 1,000 ever-married women were randomly selected in each of three areas—Haj-Yousif and Shendi in the north, where female circumcision is widely practiced, and Juba in the south, where it is relatively rare. Interviewers collected data on the prevalence of the three types of circumcision, their social and demographic correlates, women's attitudes toward the practice and their perception of their husbands' attitudes.

Female circumcision is not associated with any one religious group. It is practiced by Muslims, Christians, Jews and members of indigenous African religions.

Female circumcision is often performed by lay practitioners with little or no formal knowledge of human anatomy or medicine. In most cases, the operation takes place under unhygienic conditions and without anesthesia or sterile instruments.

Circumcision can have many immediate and long-term consequences. These consequences vary considerably by the type and severity of cutting, with the most serious complications associated with infibulation. The immediate consequences include difficulty in passing urine, urine retention, hemorrhage, infection, fever, stress and shock and damage to the genital organs.

Over time, circumcised women may also develop menstrual complications, vulvar abscesses, obstetric complications, urinary tract infections, chronic pelvic infection and low fertility or sterility. In addition, female circumcision, especially infibulation, may make intercourse per- functory or even painful.

Despite these grave risks, its practitioners look on it as an integral part of their cultural and ethnic identity. In societies in which few women remain uncircumcised, problems arising from female circumcision are likely to be seen as a normal part of a woman's life and may not even be associated with circumcision

Look http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2707101.html for most information

11:34 AM Dec 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

Progression plss don't add İSlam every bad where…!!!!

It is not about islam!

Plss read !

Female circumcision is not associated with any one religious group. It is practiced by Muslims, Christians, Jews and members of indigenous African religions.

Look it is something like tradition for them… a bad culture..a bad living :S

Ohhhh Sibel.Don't hate anyone! But they are too unhumanity :(

08:25 PM Dec 05 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

:)))

U r always kidding with my English..

Ok..I have never claimed that i have a super english!

and my eng doesn't interest you..:P Look ur work pls

Also i will tell u my eng teacher..I will tell him >Why don't u teach me a better eng. Ppl are kidding with me becoz of you!

Anway.. This comment is full of jokes :)) Don't get me wronge. I agree with u..I am so bad in eng :)

08:49 PM Dec 05 2008 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

This is a disgusting, horrible practice, and it is exactly the kind of thing that should not be protected by governments.

If a mature woman wants this done to herself at a hospital or something, she can go ahead.  I will think she is crazy, but hey, it's not my concern.  

This, however, is a crime against humanity, done to children who cannot choose to have it or not, or else done with so much pressure and coercion there is no real choice at all.  It is utterly barbaric.  It should be banned and prosecuted. 

10:22 PM Dec 05 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

8,000 girls per day are robbed of their genitalia and their dignity. That is one every eleven seconds. 150 million women worldwide are affected. TARGET wants to put an end to this crime.

Ruth, seven years old, a Christian. She is sitting on her aunt's lap, who is suddenly spreading her legs and holding on tight to Ruth. Another woman holds her arms. Ruth is screaming, but she doesn't stand a chance. The razor blade takes away her clitoris. Without anaesthetic. There is blood. Lemon juice as an antiseptic. A cloth to stem the bloodflow. Afterwards a celebration.

Cutting off the clitoris is the mildest form of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).

Fatima has to endure the hardest form. She is eight years old, a Muslim, and lives in the Danakil desert, Ethiopia. She will have to undergo Pharaonic mutilation. Like her friends. Laila, for example, who has not spoken since. Who has been mute for eleven weeks. According to an estimation of the UN, one third of the girls will never speak again. Death due to loss of blood.

Four adults are trying to hold Fatima, who is struggling for her life, in place. The razor blade takes away the clitoris, the labia, everything. Even her soul and trust in life, including her trust in the adults whose hands are smothering her screams. Then she faints. Her vagina is closed with acacia thorns – just like a zipper. Without mercy. Her thighs are bound together with bandages.

After four weeks the skin has grown together. What is left is an opening the size of a grain of rice. From now on urinating will take half an hour, menstruation two weeks. In her wedding night she will be opened – either with a knife or her husband's penis. When she gives birth, the opening will have to be widened. Again, with a knife. Afterwards everything will be stitched together again. This cycle will repeat itself.

Lifelong torture.

Statements of mutilated women:

"All people are looking forward to their wedding and the wedding night. Not the Afar. For them it is the beginning of hell."

"The opening of my vagina was the size of a grain of rice. When I had to urinate it took thirty minutes, my period fourteen days."

"I couldn't give birth to my child. They cut me open with a sword. Without anaesthetic, as usual. To keep me from dying, they cut my child into pieces inside me."

"When I had my period, the blood couldn't flow out. I rolled on the ground like a slaughtered sheep to make the blood flow. When that didn't help, I had to dig out the blood with a small stick. Two weeks long."
http://www.target-human-rights.com/HP-01_genitaleVerstuemmelung/u1-1_dasVerbrechen/index.php

10:10 AM Dec 06 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

:(( Ruth's story made me worse :(

Circumcision should end as soon as possible.. But i wonder how the government allow it :S

It is too stupidly!

10:42 AM Dec 06 2008 |

M_honor

M_honor

Lebanon

barbaric..horrible…stupidly practice…where is the govermnents?

10:46 AM Dec 06 2008 |

sunay

sunay

Turkey

Has someone any idea why such  female circumcision has been arised? Who could be thought such brutaly act by women? What was the aim by doing that action? My suspicion is that the males were in the game to have something against the female nature.

10:53 AM Dec 06 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

barbaric..horrible…stupidly practice…where is the govermnents?

It seems that a number of governments are passing laws against mutilation but not doing much to enforce the laws. In Egypt, for example,  up to 95% of women have had this done,  even thought it's been illegal since 1997.

12:02 PM Dec 06 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

Has someone any idea why such  female circumcision has been arised? Who could be thought such brutaly act by women? What was the aim by doing that action? My suspicion is that the males were in the game to have something against the female nature.

hi sunay,the laws in a state,the laws in a religion,the laws by ritale are made in the history by old man and these laws are also in the present most time laws made by old man.

but when i look on the picture middle age women do the cruel operation…the aim i can't understand…its for me only crime against girl and i guess a live long suffering as women. 

11:10 PM Dec 06 2008 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

gkisseberth law and order is one way but education is better….

even in Germany where law and order is we have the same problem

Female circumsion isn't just a problem in African countries. In Germany, as many as 6,000 girls of African origin are also threatened by the gruesome ritual.

Germany is home to at least 24,000 women from African countries who've undergone female circumcision, or, as many experts call it, female genital mutilation (FGM). That's because the practice involves either the full or partial removal of a woman's external genitalia, and has painful physical and psychological consequences.

Jeanette Zachäus of the German human rights organization "Aktion Weisses Friedensband" says the daughters of some African immigrants in Germans are potential victims of FGM—about 6,000 girls.

11:22 PM Dec 06 2008 |