Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

What was the last book you have read?

Novita

Novita

Germany

What was the last book you have read? What is the book's topic? Can you recommend it?

10:21 PM Mar 11 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

violet166

violet166

Poland

last book, so it was 'Laments, Songs and Epigrams' autor: Jan Kochanowski

hahaha… it was so interesting, this book was about all; deaths, life etc. What do you want.

10:27 PM Mar 11 2009 |

NabilaSh

NabilaSh

Syrian Arab Republic

in arabic ,it was كيماء الصلاة
“the chemistry of prayer”
its greeeeeat one :))

10:34 PM Mar 11 2009 |

SENHY

SENHY

China

at last,im very busy,so,im not read any books!

12:15 AM Mar 12 2009 |

Reem naser

Reem naser

Saudi Arabia

and me

i read before  book((the secret)) i love this book  and
 last book ((is the subconscious mind a source of unlimited power )) to d;frhard f freitag

realy this book  very important to care life  good &good lifeLaughing

05:10 AM Mar 12 2009 |

Switzerland

Switzerland

My last book ( and the first in english) was Harry Potter.

This because i thik its an easy english for a beginner.

But i use more my dicionary than the Harry Poter book :-)

10:23 AM Mar 12 2009 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

I have read ''Madame Bovary''.. it is the last..

But now i am reading '' Empathy'' by Adam Fawer..

10:49 AM Mar 21 2009 |

l.pharaoh

l.pharaoh

Egypt

Arabic Novel for nabil faruk

It Called Earth

Also i Read great hopes, it in english

11:08 AM Mar 21 2009 |

Novita

Novita

Germany

The last book I've read is "Meet is my vegetable" by Heinz Strunk in German language. It's a tragicomic story about a musician who always wanted to become a famous music producer. But he just became a big looser and has to work as a music teacher in a music school and he has to play dance music in a small dance band on village fairs. This book is hilarious and I can really recommend it.

The last books I've read in English were "The Buru Quartet" by the Indonesian author Pramoedya Ananta Toer. He was imprisoned first by the Dutch from 1947 to 1949 for his role in the Indonesian revolution, then by the Indonesian government as a political prisoner. Many of his works have been written while in prison, including the Buru Quartet which was conceived in stories the author told to other prisoners during his confinement on Buru Island from 1969 to 1979. "The Buru Quartet" contains for books titled "This Earth of Mankind", "Child of All Nations", "Footsteps", and "House of Glass".

The protagonist is Minke, a young Javanese student of great intelligence, sensivity, and ambition. Living equally among the colonists and colonized of late nineteenth-century java, he battles against the confines of colonial stricures. The son of a noble Janavese, he moves easily among the Dutch and their ideas and language but is prevented from enjoying their rights. He also falls deperately in love with the beautiful Indo-European Annelies, and it is through her and her extraordinary family that Minke finds the strength to embrace his world – the world of Indonesia – and all its beauty and possibility, brutality and anger.  

I was so moved and impressed by Minke's story that I read all four books immediatly in succession. The author is a real luminary in telling about Indonesia's diverse culture and society, political struggle and humanity so that I am very, very sad that he never got the Nobel Prize for Literature he was discussed as nominate for because he died in April 2006.    

12:33 PM Mar 21 2009 |

:-(

India

It was Larry Collins'- "Freedom at MidNight".

This book narrates the events of transfer of Power of India and the circumstances that lead to tragic partition of India, during which Millions of Indians died. This book is written from British perspective. Its writer was an official to Last Viceroy of India.

This is a false account of our history but sufficient to narrate the renegade character of our national leaders. They wre lackeys of the British empire. When our ppl. were dying in millions, they were busy in serving their masters.

01:51 PM Mar 21 2009 |

91patii

91patii

Poland

I have been reading' New moon' ;]

02:04 PM Mar 21 2009 |