Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

IELTS or TOEFL experiences

gkisseberth

Germany

I teach both IELTS and TOEFL preparation courses and I would love to hear about any members' experiences with these exams.

Have you taken either exam?

what was your score?

How did you prepare? (not at all, self study, took a course, etc.)

what were the easiest/most difficult parts of the test for you?

what advice would you give other test takers? 

If you plan to take either exam, how are you preparing, or what concerns do you have? 

10:55 PM Jun 06 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

alfase7

Yemen

yes I have taken an ECLexam.

It was 74.

self study.

the listening was the most difficult part.

09:03 AM Jun 07 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

I had to take the TOEFL exam, despite having spoken English my entire life as my mother tongue, to apply to universities in Canada and the UK/

I got a weird text on the history of a African agriculture as the first reading comprehension.

I naturally got 3 points away from perfect on the entire test.

02:24 PM Jun 07 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

which version of the TOEFL did you take, fabs?

05:41 PM Jun 07 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

The Internet based one.

It's very convenient and they send the results to all the Universities that you indicate.

05:51 PM Jun 07 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

khaled, your choice of test will depend on what you need the qualification for. If you want to live and/or work abroad you will probably need the IELTS – general training module. If you want to study in most English speaking countries outside North America, the Ielts – academic module. If you want to study in the US or Canada, you'll probably need the TOEFL, but many Universities there now accept or even prefer the IELTS.

the best advice is to ask the institution which it requires. If either is accpetable, I would say the IELTS is easier for Speaking and maybe Listening, while the TOEFL might be easier for Reading.  

06:06 PM Jun 07 2009 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Good luck.

The final segment of the exam is generally a free-writing essay, so be sure to have a read in the news the night before.

02:20 AM Jun 08 2009 |