Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Most Important Quality of a Friend

cupcakes

cupcakes

Malaysia

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, I hereby propose an interesting question:  

What do you think is the most important quality that a friend should hold to be considered as a good friend?  

My subjective answer would be :  truthfulness. 

05:04 AM Aug 23 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Aki in L.A

Aki in L.A

Japan

"Understanding each other". 

01:21 PM Aug 23 2009 |

Sina16

Sina16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I agree with both of you

& i think (to be honest)

Is the greatest adjective for a friend.

regards

02:30 PM Aug 23 2009 |

sadjosephine

China

first to believe friend ,then to understand them no matter what happend

06:45 PM Aug 23 2009 |

Jack_240

Jack_240

Saudi Arabia

supportive, trustworthy, never talk ill behind ur back, never spread rumor,doesn't reveal ur secrets to big mouth guys. 

and a lotta things. unfortunately, there aren't friends like these above anymore. most of them are hypocrites now.   

10:53 PM Aug 23 2009 |

Whitney S

Whitney S

Colombia

Definitely Loyalness!

12:28 AM Aug 24 2009 |

roulette

roulette

Indonesia

FREEDOM!! DON'T  FORCE  YOUR  GOOD  EGG  FOR  ANY  REASON!!

HE OR SHE RULES HIS OR HER SELF.

LIFE IS MATTER OF CHOICE.

NOBODY KNOWS WHAT CAN BE THE BEST, SO LET OTHER TO DECIDE.

12:40 AM Aug 24 2009 |

cupcakes

cupcakes

Malaysia

Wow …. if we are voting here, people who had voted for "Understanding" would win!

I never thought that this quality (understanding), which is depended on mutual interaction between two people, can be the most determining factor of a friendship.    

12:58 AM Aug 24 2009 |

cupcakes

cupcakes

Malaysia

Advice needed:

How can we be an understanding friend ?  

willing to listen may be ? 

01:48 AM Aug 24 2009 |

cupcakes

cupcakes

Malaysia

@aliyatul_hikmah:  

Thank you so much for taking time to reply this question of mine in a way that is so helpful to me.  Laughing

I really do appreciate your long answer as I am really serious about learning how to improve my personal relationships.  Your reply not only answered my original question but also give me other important insight that I need in real life. 

I always have this problem of easily influenced by all sort of friends: which include ordinary friend and close friend that you mentioned.  Now only I understand, I only needed to be influenced by my close friends, and therefore no need to concern too much about what other people(which are ordinary people) think.  That way, I can become more firm about my own value system :) 

I am so relief,,, thank you so much Aliyatul Innocent

I will carefully chose those who shares similar motives and values with me as my close friends (whoever has a kind heart and willing to contribute to society/world) 

But, then again, I am still confused.  

Should we also be understanding to those who do not share same values as us?  If we already do not agree with their values, how can we be understanding to them and their behaviours?  

03:54 AM Aug 25 2009 |

Saladeen

Saladeen

Pakistan

'Trustworthiness' is above anything in friendship. Friendship is respected mainly because of trustworthiness.

05:24 AM Aug 25 2009 |