Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Some thing I've been wondering for quite alot about Germany.

Deansweet

Deansweet

Israel

What is the philosophical explanation behind German roads with no speed limit, namely the Autobahn.

(As you know there's not speed limit in some of the German roads).

Now I think the answer may be a result of Germany's culture and behavioral patterns. Having no speed limit could possibly give a boost to German ego and encourage the development of faster and more powerful cars. So basically having no speed limit is like a way of showing off how great their cars are. 

Thanks in advance :)

10:38 PM Jan 30 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

aquarius2009

Croatia

Didn't know thaT. tHANKS FOR SHARING!

10:51 PM Jan 30 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Well, of course there are speed limits in many parts of the highways here but there are also parts were you can hang on the accelerator. 

currently I am doing my driving licence and yesterday I was once again on the highway from Pinneberg to Husum and got onto 180 km/h. 

It has nothing to do with German character. The highways are good and straight and there arent so many accidents thanks God.

11:45 PM Jan 30 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

woooow dind't know that. Maybe it can also be due to the quality of their roads.

11:46 PM Jan 30 2010 |

Deansweet

Deansweet

Israel

MemoTheHun

Well, Maybe you're right, but there has to be a reason why in Germany it's ok to drive as fast as the car will carry you, while on the same conditions you can't drive faster than 130 km/h in France. (and believe me, the roads there are simply AMAZING).

Maybe transforming goods faster is better for the economy, maybe roads with no speed limit is a source of attraction for tourists from all over the world, maybe German driving culture is so brilliant that ppl won't crash even if they drive 300 km/h. I dont know…

01:22 AM Jan 31 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

130 km/ h???  :S:S:S  they must be crazy. :D  I think, you get the joy of driving when you are over 150 km/h, really ( I dont have so much experience ) But it is also good for tourism here in Germany. I heard that many racers come to Frankfurt or any other city just do some speed. 

01:50 AM Jan 31 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

German cars are too fast for a digital camera.

from http://www.flickr.com/photos/davipt/253660629/

02:04 AM Jan 31 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I couldnt find anything about the reason

02:07 AM Jan 31 2010 |

Deansweet

Deansweet

Israel

haha! man that's not because these cars are fast. It's only a digital camera technique. I'm not sure how it's done though.

11:50 AM Jan 31 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

I think that is due to a long exposition of the optura

12:28 PM Jan 31 2010 |

spontan

spontan

Germany

Smile hmm…. memo the hun,  

i just think about your 180 km/h Autobahn speed….hope you have enough expierience by snow!

06:27 PM Feb 02 2010 |