Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

converted to Islam because of women’s rights in Islam!

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Laura Rodriguez, a Spanish, converted to Islam because of women’s rights in Islam. Among her motives to become Muslim, she mentioned the followings: “Islam gave me the rights not given by Catholicism,” Ms. Rodriguez had reportedly said, and listed these as “individual liberty, legal rights, the right to education, the right to employment and the right to sexuality.”
She criticized the world’s medias position towards Islam and Muslims and said that she will try her best defending Muslims in Spain.
Laura Rodriguez is the representative of Spain’s Muslim women

09:10 AM Apr 18 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

Born a Catholic and educated in Catholic schools, Laura Rodriguez converted to Islam and now represents Spanish Muslim women. She believes that Catholicism restricts women’s rights.
“Islam gave me the rights not given by Catholicism, like individual liberty, legal rights, the right to education, the right to employment and the right to sexuality,” said Rodriguez, the president of the Muslim Women’s Union in Spain.
“Women cannot communicate directly with God in the Catholic religion. They have no rights to sexuality. Their mission is to give birth to children,” she added. “[Catholic] women have no right to divorce. Birth control is forbidden by Catholicism.”
Until recently, Spanish women needed the official consent of their husbands to open a bank account, noted Yusuf Fernandez Ordonez, the secretary of the Muslim Federation of Spain, or FEME, of which Rodriguez’s organization is an affiliate.

09:24 AM Apr 18 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

It's generally a problem if the only comparison you can turn to nowadays to justify yourself is between Islam and MEDIEVAL Christian Europe.

How about today?

07:28 PM Apr 18 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

I think another telling part about Islam and its attitude towards women is the fact that there are NO FEMALE PROPHETS IN ISLAM.

What exactly happened to the 7 Jewish prophets Sarah, Miriam, Devorah, Chanah, Abigail, Chulda and Esther?

08:59 PM Apr 18 2010 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

Osesame just forgot to say from which Century he took this story.

09:13 PM Apr 18 2010 |

Monique Fernandes

Brazil

Laura Rodriguez definetly did not convert to Islam because “Islam gave her the rights not given by Catholicism” since “individual liberty, legal rights, the right to education, the right to employment and the right to sexuality” are rights from Catholicism. Maybe she had another reason.. maybe because she wanted to marry a muslim man, but not for that! I wonder from where osesame finds these stories..

11:06 PM Apr 18 2010 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

for your information, there are NO female prophets ever, neither in Islam, Judaism or Christianity,

Excuse me? There are.

Judaism has 7 of them. The one's just named.

According to the Talmud there were also seven women who are counted as prophets whose message bears relevance for all generations: Sarah, Miriam, Devorah, Hannah (mother of the prophet Samuel), Abigail (a wife of King David), Huldah (from the time of Jeremiah), and Esther. Rashi points out that Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah were also prophets.

11:56 PM Apr 18 2010 |

just---girl

Saudi Arabia

good do u know last week i met a plandian girl in a chat she said iam really sorry for ur life as a muslim woman I just opened my eye and said what – i mean u can't go out – u can't learn u can u ant in fact i just laughed and asked her where did she get that wrong about us i was just caming back to my home i go to every where i have servants and driver what ever i want thanks God I asked her not to just believe that articles .. it's just against us 

02:07 AM Apr 19 2010 |

just---girl

Saudi Arabia

to just girl: Can you drive a car in Saudi Arabia? no I don't but I have a driver

You can move it in the yard of your house.  >>> yah I can

YOU ARE FREE?!!!yah free 

Can you go abroad without a man?yah I can 

Can you vote in elections? I don't interested in that

Can you show your face in public?it's related to my religion not to K.S.A coz as a muslim girl I wear Hejab 

Can you buy something without a man from a restaurant? yes I can

If you speak with an unknown man in the street, what will be the police reaction?hahah plz what do u think of us all of that I can do it but I wear Hejab

01:38 PM Apr 19 2010 |

ris

ris

Indonesia

I am not a moslem but living in a country with the biggest Muslim population has given me adequate experience to share about muslim :p

Well, i have a lot of muslim friends. most of them are very kind and they're also respect others like christian. Moslem in Indonesia dont wear hejab, we are very democratic here,... so,... it's not right to generalize moslem in the world as moslem in middle east

But,... the fact that there's something dangerous cant be avoided too. Muslim can have different point of view about everything. In indonesia, there's some moslem 'priest' who called those terorist as heros…. they're freaking us, non moslem,  out. some islamic party make a rule based on islam teaching  in their area, for example, woman are not allowed to go out alone after 10 PM.

So,... in my opinion,... it's very depend on the group/people. some muslim are good and some others are such a headache,...

and yeah,... about woman's right in islam,... :p hahahaa I dont think woman's right is supported fully as man's right in most of religion :p I myself also dont agree with the statement that islam is very supprotive to woman's right :p it just ridiculous,... :p of course,... it doesnt mean that islam is bad,... maybe only in this part :p hahaaa….

sorry for muslim people,... this is only my subjective opinion,... :p i know a little islam from what i am seeing, but you know better than me because you experience it yourself,... so,... correct me if i am wrong :)

06:59 AM Apr 20 2010 |

ait faraji abd el ghani

British Indian Ocean Territory

that is good as a moslem i am so happy for you to be moslem islam is the best religion in the word our god gave the womans thier rights and he told us as mens to respect them and give them what they need not to make them ungry or sad

10:09 PM Apr 20 2010 |