Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Israelis flock 'back' to Germany

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

Sunday, June 20, 2010 BERLIN — Agence France-Presse Decades after World War II and with a dwindling number of Holocaust survivors, the scars are slowly healing and Germany is becoming an attractive place to live for many Israelis. ‘More and more Israelis are coming in order to escape the constant threat of violence in the Middle East,’ says one of the Jews who moved from Israel In this file photo, musicians of Germany's Kammersymphoniker  Berlin orchestra perform during a rehearsal for media at the Holocaust  Memorial in Berlin. AP photo
In this file photo, musicians of Germany's Kammersymphoniker Berlin orchestra perform during a rehearsal for media at the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin. AP photo

For Jewish people, Germany is not the "Land der Taeter" (country of the perpetrators) anymore; now, the country is becoming "a haven of peace" for many Jews who are moving from Israel decades after World War II.

"My grandmother was three when she had to escape Nazi Germany with her family," says Shiri Rosen, one of thousands of Israelis to have moved "back" to Germany in recent years. "My great-grandfather was a lawyer, his office was right near here," the 24-year-old said in a cafe in central Berlin, pointing over her shoulder to a parallel street. "When I was a kid, in Israel, she (her grandmother) bounced me on her knee, singing a song in German … They were the only words in German I ever heard from her."

Before Adolf Hitler took power in 1933, Berlin had a thriving Jewish population numbering around 170,000, many of them professionals such as doctors and lawyers, or intellectuals and artists. But this vibrant community was decimated in the 12 years of terror that followed as the Nazis murdered six million men, women and children across Europe in their attempt to destroy the Jewish race.

Unsurprisingly, once World War II was over and the Israel founded in 1948, the few Jews who had miraculously survived were loath to stay in Germany, in the "Land der Taeter" ("country of the perpetrators.") But today, decades later, with an ever-dwindling number of Holocaust survivors still around, the scars are slowly healing and Germany is becoming an attractive place to live for many Israelis.

A steady trickle has been returning to make use of a law allowing descendants to claim German citizenship. "Germany today is a haven of peace for the descendants of those who, one day, fled the country because they were in danger," says Ilan Weiss, who moved from Israel 20 years ago. "The fact that Jews are coming here again constitutes for Germany a certificate that it is acceptable again."

In 2008, the last year for which figures are available, almost 2,000 Israelis became naturalised German citizens. Two years earlier, more than 4,300 did so. According to the Israeli embassy, around 13,000 Israelis now live in Berlin alone.

Mostly, they are the descendants of German Jews stripped of their citizenship as the Nazis sought to "Aryanise" the Third Reich, and who now have the right to obtain German nationality.

Sitting in his well-worn Berlin apartment, Weiss, who is in his 60s, said he has noticed in recent years more and more Israelis coming in order, he believes, to escape the constant threat of violence in the Middle East.

And it is particularly the young who are doing so, attracted not only by a feeling of going back to their roots, but also by the vibrant, modern metropolis that the German capital is today. Many come to make the most of Berlin's nightlife and its bohemian lifestyle, attending techno nights in disused industrial warehouses or sampling the gay scene, where "Meshuga nights" with only Israeli music are big crowd-pullers. "In Tel Aviv all people talk about is Berlin. It is very much the city en vogue," says Shiri Rosen enthusiastically.

Avi Efroni-Levi, who has launched a website for the Israeli community in Germany offering tips on everything from apartments to exhibitions, very much agrees. "The planes from Tel Aviv to Berlin are packed. For Israelis, the city offers so many possibilities because it's so international and life is quite cheap," the 53-year-old said.

Weiss said that for many young Israelis, coming to Germany is much easier than for their parents' generation. "Very few of them are influenced by the Holocaust," he says. "Obviously most of them studied it at school but it's something very remote for them."

"You can't concentrate on the violence all the time, it's negative," says Avi Efroni-Levi. "I've got other things to think about than the past. I want to achieve something here. The wounds of the past are still there. They never go away," he said. "But we have to heal them."

----

I hope they won't claim to have any country here….

06:00 AM Jul 08 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I just wanted to say that this:

"For Jewish people, Germany is not the "Land der Taeter" (country of the perpetrators) anymore;"

Really really made me laugh.  When I was going to school in Stuttgart, my immigrant friends (Bangladeshis and Turks) often jokingly referred to the white Germans as "potatoes," another word for potato in english being, of course, Tater, which in english is pronounced much like the german word "Täter."  (I don't know if this was a common thing or not, it might have just been something at my Gymnasium.)

Land of potatoes.  haha.  

As to the main article, well, Berlin is pretty awesome.  I would be happy living in Germany again.  I'm not gay, but "Meshuga nights" sound pretty fun. 

06:49 AM Jul 08 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

well, yes I sometimes do it, too. But it has nothing to do with your translation.

07:02 AM Jul 08 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I know, it's just a weird pun : )

07:23 AM Jul 08 2010 |

Deansweet

Deansweet

Israel

i hope you won't claim to have any country there either, immigrant.

11:00 AM Jul 08 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

höhö... here is israel which was promised to beni israel by God 3000 years ago.. bam bam bam… 3 killed… :S:S:S 

go play your game somewhere else

12:30 PM Jul 08 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

would be cool, but last year I was there and I couldn't see many Turks.

02:16 PM Jul 08 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

aha

02:36 PM Jul 08 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

I have also taken a pic there

03:31 PM Jul 19 2010 |

Deansweet

Deansweet

Israel

why the heck are u standing on graves? 

don't you have some respect?

10:38 PM Jul 21 2010 |

Radunagi

Radunagi

United States

I don't think they are supposed to represent graves.  I was there, and I can't remember if I saw anyone stand on the steles or not.  I think if it was discouraged I would have remembered it, but I don't know.   <!-Session data->

04:27 AM Jul 22 2010 |