Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Stop Killling Muslims in Burma

ichem

ichem

Morocco

Hi you know more Mondial Media don’t cover the BURMA ’s events , the soldieres and people killing the Muslims without rights there , where are the world ? where are the Media ? where are the Human right ?? where the country taht say we are against the Terrorism?? and where and where ?

what’s your opinon you ???? 

06:19 PM Aug 04 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Again I read some of these comments about Israel/Palestine. All by people who have never been to either place and have this romantic, life or death struggle in their heads.

You’re all wrong I’m afraid.

04:16 PM Oct 05 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Since no one else has responded, I’ll try. I think nation and umma are not the same words. Look at the US and Canada for example, we are the same people genetically, we speak the same language (English Canada anyhow), we have a very similar history, we have the same religions, and we regard each other as virtually one people (I think). But we are two nations and proud of it. We chose to be two nations.

The word ’’nation” and the word “umma” aren’t the same apparently. “Nation” is a political construct. We here in the US separate race, religion, and nationality. They are three different things to me. If the Umma has no government that can speak for it’s citizens collectively, then it is not a nation nor an empire. It would be more like OPEC. Just people with things in common. It’s only a nation if there is a national political entity in charge.

My opinion, feel free to correct me.

03:38 PM Oct 06 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

“umma” I believe is related to the Semitic root and hebrew word ‘am’ which means people, nation. In Islamic belief, followers form a cross-country, international communitiy. This belief equally divides the world into two camps: the lands of Islam, and the lands of war, which is in theory fair game for proselytization and eventual conquest. I’m not claiming that’s what the meaning is practically today, but it probably was the idea back in the formative times of Islam.

02:10 AM Oct 07 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

fabs1

(In Islamic belief, followers form a cross-country, international communitiy. This belief equally divides the world into two camps: the lands of Islam, and the lands of war)what u said is (alqaida) ideology that made by usa and have no relation with the tolerant religion of islam .the problem  is that the media mix the realities .if u take it at this way can u tell me france that have more than 5 millions muslim is it land of islam or land of war ?? !!!what u said is wronge 

10:32 AM Oct 07 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisions_of_the_world_in_Islam

It seems according to this, that there were originally two camps within the world according to Islam. The Dar Al Islam (“House of Islam”, the countries that are apart of Islam) and Dar Al Harb (“House of War” i.e. hostile territory, non-Islamic territory).

It is later on, that other defintiions (dar al amn) are brought out to create shades of grey within Islamic jurisprudence.

Indeed this world view perhaps explains many of the Islamic conquests following Islam’s founding with a dichotomy of the world into those for us and those against us.

u take it at this way can u tell me france that have more than 5 millions muslim is it land of islam or land of war 

Simply because most people in the world function based on pragmatism, when religious law is in conflict with the pragmatic runnings of the world.

Whether something is on the lawbooks, does not say anything about whether it is followed.

10:41 AM Oct 07 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

i read your undocumented article and dont make any sense because it is inaccurate and have no evidence but if u want to understand this point i will tell u .

what u want to talk about and accuse the muslims belief is that your definition of (dividing world in two two camps and ..etc..) .

i will documented my talks to be accurate.

first:the holy quran and hadith dont contain (your theory division view )

second:according to imam abu hanifa when  the muslims arent safe with his faith in these countries  or he is harmed in  his religion.or when anation attacked their countries so that is your right to fight and i think that is fair enough.

j

11:24 AM Oct 07 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Did you? It’s not my article. It’s from wikipedia.

And even so, the Dar system is attributed to Abu Hanifa, one of Islam’s foundational clerics, at a time preceding the Islamic conquests. The reader can see in between the lines.

I don’t blame Islam for this, all the monotheistic religions do the same: Divide the world into two camps, and basically demonizes the other. What is interesting, is how Islam had set it on Geographic lines, and fixed territory.

11:31 AM Oct 07 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

Ihope you read more about islam with no bad intention .you will realize the reality

of islam and iam sure when u read quran and hadith you will discover something 

new and good for you .

11:52 AM Oct 07 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

This doesn’t really belong here, but the people I want to see this will see this here.

Muslims complained about this poster. Zamelek posted a hillarious video of a woman getting arrested over this poster. She could have done this too but instead resorted to petty criminal vandalism and brought disgrace on herself and any message she thought she had.

This is how these things are supposed to be handled in the USA. This is how freedom of speech works.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/pro-muslim-subway-ads-to-hang-near-anti-jihad-ads/

Notice if you will who is funding this. No chanters among them.

02:33 AM Oct 08 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

remember also my perspective is skewed. My country was founded by people with few of those things in common. Just people who didn’t want to be where they were for some reason and thought they’d have a better chance at a new life here. Most came here with just the common interest of starting over and doing better and nothing else from the list. I guess nation can mean many things. There is an almost unlimited variety of lifestyle here, maybe nation is just a group who choose to call themselves that and establish borders and some unified way to deal with other nations. People are still coming here, still with nothing in common with us except a desire to build a new life. Those who can leave the old ways or at least not push them on us and wish to join us are still welcome.

there was plenty of fuss made over the vandal woman, what do you think of the link I posted (above)?

01:20 PM Oct 08 2012 |