Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Have you ever been in Istanbul

makifakat

makifakat

Turkey

Istanbul is Turkey's most populous city, and its cultural and economic center. It is located on the Bosphorus strait, and encompasses the natural harbor known as the Golden Horn (Turkish: Haliç), in the northwest of the country. Istanbul extends both on the European (Thrace) and on the Asian (Anatolia) side of the Bosphorus, and is thereby the only metropolis in the world which geographically is situated on two continents.

In 2000 Census, population is 8,803,468 (city proper) and 10,018,735 (province), making it, by some counts, one of the largest cities in Europe. The census bureau estimate for July 20, 2005 is 11,322,000 for the province, which is generally considered as the metropolitan area, making it one of the twenty largest metropolitan areas in the world. The city is located at 41° N 28° E, and is the capital of Istanbul Province. Istanbul is chosen as the European Capital of Culture for 2010. Istanbul is nicknamed "The City on Seven Hills" because the historic peninsula which is the oldest part was built on seven hills, also represented with seven mosques, one at the top of each hill.     

06:24 PM Jul 26 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Hi again,

I wrote my msn address but It isnot availeable because of this please come to main chat room at 21.00 o'cloc tonight.Okay?

I'll give my msn address to you.Thanks.

01:32 PM Aug 13 2006 |

zeus2006

zeus2006Super Member!

Turkey

Bye the way,I use same nickname ''zeus'',please use same nickname ''Kinski''.

Okay?Thanks.I'll be waiting for you at 21.00 o'clock.Bye.

01:40 PM Aug 13 2006 |

kinski

kinski

Turkey

hi, Zeus

I’m afraid my English not enough good for chat :(

but I try to concentrate :) bye

02:15 PM Aug 13 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

Smile August 13, Sunday, 11:26p.m. Philippine time

Makifakat, you gave a good description of your country, Turkey.  That's nice of you to suggest a good topic for Forum visitors.  And thanks for those beautiful pictures about Turkey.

Turkey is one of my dream countries in the Mediterrean.  I don't know why I like Turkey.  As if I've seen or visited that country.  I hope one day in this lifetime, I could travel to Turkey. 

I'm from the Philippines – a southeast Asian country.  The Philippines is composed of 7,101 islands and islets. The biggest island is Luzon.  And Luzon has many islands and islets. There's this Hundred Island in Pangasinan.  It is composed of 100 islets.  Several of the islets are for rent to tourists.  So, if you want an islet for yourself, you can come here and rent one.  There's cottages where you can stay. 

The next island is Mindanao or the South.  Muslim is predominant in Mindanao.  So, if you're a muslim, you'll feel at ease there because Islam is the predominant religion there.  The provinces that comprised Mindanao are beautiful.  People are friendly there.  It's peaceful there contrary to what the foreign media has been reporting.  If you're a Muslim, there are mosques there.

Next island is the Visayas Islands.  This is composed of many islands and islets , too.  The famous Boracay island is in Aklan island province.  Boracay has white sand, pristine and many foreigners are already living there because they said it's very beautiful. 

Our native language is Filipino, and english is a second language here.  Our country is a republic and has the presidential system of government.  Our monetary system is the Peso.  Our population is about 83 million in 2004 census. Predominant religion is Catholicism, and second is Islam, the rest are the different denominations of Protestantism. 

Nest time I visit Forum, I'll give a better account of our country.  And, I hope to read about other countries from other visitors here also. 

I know there's a lot of interesting things to know about each other's country.  Share and write about your country here and through that bridge the friendship among people of the world.  I love to hear and read about others account of their beloved country.

04:09 PM Aug 13 2006 |

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Hello again to all of you !!

We are learning a lot about Turkiye  !!  and now thanks to Felice we know more about the Philipines !!

I'm in Spain , in the north east of the country ( near Portugal) This area is called Galicia and I live in a small city , Vigo .

Vigo is essentially sea. Its history is marked by the Greeks,Phoenicians,Vikings, Normands and all the peoples which arrived to this coast. 

Vigo is a town open to the sea which provides an established industry. The sea is trade and transport, is sport and adventure.There are nice beaches although a bit crowded in summer :) . There are 45 sandy areas. Their sand is white and soft and water is limpid and transparent.

I would define Galicia in the tree words : green , ancient , lively .

Green because of the forests , ancient because its historical past and lively because of the friendly people . 

Love to you all from here

09:26 PM Aug 13 2006 |

Altar

Altar

Turkey

bigmama your town has everything which i want((: ancient-green-friendly people-sea((:

u are lucky for living there…. i will visit Vigo too when i start to earth travel:P((:

08:31 AM Aug 14 2006 |

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Thanks dear Altar !!  You are welcome here :)

I think each town , village or city  in any country of the world has something to offer to the visitor . Some places could be better than others or not but I'm sure there's always something interesting to learn from them . No matter if the country is poor or rich , big or small , the most important is that people live there , therefore there's culture and culture deserves all our respect. 

Hello dear hyuny, weekend was nice and short as usual :) . Will you tell us about your city ?

Dear Felice , will you correct my mistakes ? , please. I need to be corrected. I would appreciate it  .

Dear makifakat , thanks for the chance of writing here . Will you please write down a typical dish or food in Istambul ? 

Greetings !!!! 

02:13 PM Aug 14 2006 |

Felice

Felice

Philippines

Bigmama, actually, you express well your thoughts in writing.  The only thing is that you put space before punctuation like comma and period.  For me, your english is good enough.  Just continue to visit and interact with  other Forum visitors and you'll even better your english.

I'm not very good in my english either.  I join englishbaby to improve mine, and learn more.  And, I'm learning, honest.  With Mehmet and Rascalkid who share what they've learned, wherelse can you find a good venue for learning english?

I hope others will do the same.  This is a good place for exchange of learning and knowledge.  You may know something that others don't know, and you know something from others, too.  See you again here next time.

02:55 PM Aug 14 2006 |

bigmama

bigmama

Spain

Nice to hear about you hyuny. So you are in a cosmopolitan city.That is interesting.

I think Istambul is also a cosmopolitan city, isn't it?

03:10 AM Aug 15 2006 |

makifakat

makifakat

Turkey

As the Maiden's Tower was remote and inaccessible, people did not have much information about what was lived in it, and they sufficed with telling interesting stories about the inside, and imagining. The first story about the Maiden's Tower was a love story told by Ovidius. This story, relating to the sad love of Hero and Leandros, begins with Hero leaving the tower. Hero is one of the holy women of Aphrodite, and love is banned for her.
              She leaves the tower years later to attend a ceremony to be held at the Aphrodite temple, and there she meets Leandros. These two youngsters in love with each other, bless their love with Leandros visiting the tower at nights. The Maiden's Tower witnesses the devotion and the forbidden love of these two young people every night. On a stormy night when Leandros was swimming to the tower, the love light that Hero burnt was put out. Leandros losing his way in the darkens is buried in the waters of the Bosphorous. Hero, seeing that her lover dies, lets herself in the arms of the waters as well. Other than this story on lovers that cannot meet, there is a snake story, similar to the Cleopatra's end. According to a prophecy, a king is to lose her beloved daughter at the age of eighteen, with a snakebite. Therefore, the king has this tower in the middle of the sea repaired, and places his daughter here. Proving that the fate cannot be escaped, a snake emerging from a grape basket sent to the tower, empties its poison to the princess. The king has an iron vault prepared for his daughter and places it above the gate of Hagia Sophia. The last story is from the Ottoman times. It is the story about Battal Gazi raiding the Maiden Tower with his soldiers and taking away the hidden treasures and the daughter of Üsküdar Tekfur (Governor). Battal Gazi took the daughter of the tekfur and the treasury, and rode away from Üsküdar, on his horse. The expression "Atı alan Üsküdar'ı geçti" (He who took the horse is already past Üsküdar) is a reflection of this story. Another aspect of this story coming to the present is about the name of this tower. In reference also to the princesses in other legends, Turks named this tower Kız-Kulesi (the maiden's tower). The tower, which was called as Arkla (small castle) in the Antiquity and Damialis (calf), was also famous with the name Tour Leandros. Currently it is "Kızkulesi" (the Maiden's Tower), and known with this name.source : http://www.kizkulesi.com.tr/en/collection/default.asp

06:14 AM Aug 15 2006 |