Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

I'm being serious

np36Super Member!

Thailand

Dear Teacher,

Last week, I watched one movie. There was a sentence, "I am being serious." I'm just wondering why can they use verb to be + being+ adjective. Thank you very much.

np36

06:23 AM Dec 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Great question. It's fine to say, "I'm being serious." This is especially common in spoken English.

The speaker here is using the present progressive, or present continuous, tense. This tense is formed with is/are + verb + ing, as in, "I'm trying to call him but he isn't answering." We use this tense to describe on-going actions that are happening now. 

Have a great day!  Smile

01:07 AM Dec 17 2008 |

np36Super Member!

Thailand

Dear Teacher,

Thank you very much. So is there any difference between "I'm being serious" and "I'm serious"?

Please have a nice day.

np36

05:00 AM Dec 17 2008 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Both "I'm being serious" and "I'm serious" can be used to mean, "I'm not joking around, I really mean it." It's especially common to hear this in conversation. You don't often come across these expressions in written English. 

"I'm serious" can also refer to a person's general personality, not just what they're talking about now. You might say, "I'm serious and hard-working," meaning, I don't fool around a lot; I'm a dedicated, hard worker. In this case, you wouldn't use "I'm being serious."

12:31 AM Dec 18 2008 |