Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

using 'off'

unwound

Turkey

Hi,

I've just read this in EB's last lesson. "It’s scammers off the Internet, trying to get you off email, Craigslist, or on some type of thing."

What does "off" mean in this sentence? Also can you write the common types of using 'off'? (Like I'm off to somewhere)

Thank you!

06:25 PM Sep 05 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! Normally we would use the preposition "on" in this sentence, rather than off. Sometimes in conversation speakers use a different preposition that is not quite correct, but still makes sense in the context of the sentence.

Off is used in many different ways. It is the opposite of "on," so we turn things (like cars, lights, computers, etc)  off when we don't want to use them. "Off" is also used when something is being removed  or leaving from someplace. For example, we get off a bus, and we take an object off a table.

There are also many phrasal verbs and idioms that use off. For example, to "piss someone off" is slang for "make someone mad." To "cut someone off" means to move in front of someone or interrupt them. And to "put something off" means to delay doing something.

Hope that helps!

Amy

10:20 PM Sep 06 2009 |

unwound

Turkey

Thank you.

Can I also ask this sentence that is from a book I've read lately.

"To top it all off economic disparities were already high."

I couldn't figure out what is off for in this sentence. 

06:44 PM Sep 08 2009 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

No problem!

"To top it all off" is an expression that is similar to finally or lastly. It is usually used in a negative context and is also similar to the expression "to make matters worse." For example, you might say, "I was really sick. I had a fever, a cough, and to top it all off, I couldn't sleep at night so I was very tired."

So in this sentence, "off" is a part of the expression "to top it all off."

AmySmile

04:49 PM Sep 10 2009 |