Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Questions

anges491

anges491

Russian Federation

Hi, Amy. Sometimes we hear such phrases:

“Here’s my pen”

“This is my pen”

What is the difference in usage between “here’s” and “this is” when we start a sentence?

Also some sentences start with “now” as in “now, that’s an interesting book”. When do we use “now” in this sense? And what is the difference between “now” in this sence and “here’s”? Thanks in advance!

09:21 AM Sep 09 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi! When you say “This is…” you are most likely showing a person an object, or presenting the object to that person. For example we often say something like, “This is my friend Anna,” when introducing someone to another person. Or if you come to my house and see my dog, I might say to you, “This is Max.”

On the other hand, if you hear someone say, “Here’s my pen,” it might be because he just found his pen—for example, “Where is my book? Oh, here it is!” Or he could be handing you his pen to use: “Can you write down your phone number? Here’s my pen.”

When we use “now,” it is to add emphasis to a statement, so it’s a very different meaning from “here.” For example: “Now that’s a good movie!” “Now this is a beautiful day!”

AmyWink

04:05 PM Sep 09 2012 |

anges491

anges491

Russian Federation

Thank you, Amy!

08:08 AM Sep 10 2012 |