Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

grammar point

teric1987

China

Hi, I have some questions. I wanna know how to use the conditionals, such as would, could, might etc. in the real situation. Like sentence “I would go.” this sentence looks like a past tense. However, It is a present tense.  That is so confusing….

08:24 PM Oct 10 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Teric,

The conditional can be confusing! It’s used to describe, literally, a “condition” for something—a cause and effect, or an action and its consequences. 

We use “would” in the second conditional. We use the second conditional (also sometimes called the “present unreal conditional”) to talk about a situation that is not real or is unlikely to occur and its imagined consequences. For example, I might say, “If I had a million dollars, I would go on a trip around the world.” Idon’t have a million dollars. That situation isunreal. But if Idid have a million dollars, the consequence would be that I would go on an around-the-world trip.

The second conditional is formed with two clauses. The first clause consists of If + subject + past tense verb, as in, “If I loved her.” The second clause is formed with “subject + would + verb,” as in, “I would marry her.” So, all together, the sentence looks like this: “If I loved her, I would marry her.”

So, if you can, think of the conditional of something that occurs neither in the past nor in the present, but in an imagined time, because it’s discussing a hypothetical, or unreal, situation.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Amy

11:19 PM Oct 10 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

One other quick thing: when “would always” is used, it doesn’t indicate the conditional. It does indicate a repeated action from the past. For example, “When I was young, we would always go to the beach in the summer” means that, in the past, I repeated the action of going to the beach.

01:13 AM Oct 11 2012 |

teric1987

China

Thank you, Amy. I am very appriciated for your explain..

03:33 AM Oct 11 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

“Hear Marni and Amy’s take on this new trend”    Hi !I am comfused in “Amy’s”  what do that mean?  thank you 1

01:54 PM Oct 15 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi,

In this case, the apostrophe + s in “Amy’s” indicates a possessive; the take, or the point-of-view, belongs to Amy.

It can be confusing, though, because apostrophe + s can also indicate a contraction of a noun + is. For example, if I said “Amy’s in the garden,” that would be a shortened way of saying “Amy is in the garden.”

A good way to figure out if you’ve got a possessive or a contraction in a sentence is to substitute the noun + is. If it makes sense in the sentence, you’ve got a contraction. If not, it’s a possessive, showing ownership.

Hope this helps!

—Teacher Amy

04:04 AM Oct 16 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

they went and took two friends to Vegas and up and did it., I don’t know how to understand  ”up ” here , 

02:56 PM Nov 02 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

, but credits his wife with making it a good day.  

hi!I am confused by credit here is noun,I cant find which one is verb

03:14 PM Nov 02 2012 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi!

Two good questions.

“Up and do it” is an idiomatic expression. It means to just do something suddenly. You can think of it like, someone just suddenly stood up and did something.

In the example you gave, “credit” is a verb. It means “to be responsible for.” That means his wife was responsible for making it a good day. You might also see the phrasal verb “give credit to,” as in, “He gave credit to his wife for making it a good day.”

Hope this helps!

—Amy

10:01 PM Nov 04 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

This has Mason and Sara thinking about leaders  , I think it must be a very useful phrase or sayting in English but I dont understand “this has” what is ’’this” here?

11:10 PM Dec 14 2012 |

yuminaga

yuminagaSuper Member!

China

“when the time comes can do what they need to do with everything they’ve listened to and take decisive action.” I ‘m just confused in grammer,   “when the time come can ”   I didn’t find the subject

11:29 PM Dec 14 2012 |