Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

will-future

helko

helko

Germany

Hi, I’m not sure how I can build sentence with “will” and “won’t” . In an exercise book I’ve read: In 20 years I’ll probably… (will is before probably), and… I probably won’t ( be married). Here is won’t after probably. Can you help me? Can you explain me the rule?

01:01 PM Jan 01 2014 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Adverbs of certainty (E.g. certainly, definitely, probably, undoubtedly, surely) are placed between an auxillary verb and a main verb. If you’re using will + main verb, probably will go between the two verbs. However, to form the negative of the future auxillary will, we add will not before the main verb. The complete verb phrase (will not + main verb) cannot be separated. Therefore, any adverbs will go before the negative verb phrase.

Ex: I will definitely go on vacation this summer. // I probably won’t fly to Europe.

Best,

Amy

07:09 PM Jan 03 2014 |

helko

helko

Germany

Hi Amy, Tanks a lot for your reply. I am very happy about you have spent your time to help me.

All the best 

Helmut 

07:44 PM Jan 04 2014 |