Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Confused about a word in audio lessons

arvindgiri

India

Hi,

I listerned to mp3’s of last few days but couldn’t figure out one word which is used in almost all the lessons just after conversation finishes. The sentence is like this: “Now learn some vocabulary and today’s ???”.

Could you please help.

Thanks

Arvind

04:23 PM Mar 31 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

arvindgiri

India

I guess it is “Now learn some vocabulary and today’s word up”. I got confused about ‘word up’, but looks like ‘up’ is part of phrasal verb ‘learn up’

10:31 PM Apr 01 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Arvind,

You’re correct that the speaker is saying “word up.” The expression “word up” was created by Ebaby! as a fun way to think about learning new vocabulary words.

Do you know the expression “pick up”? It’s sometimes used to mean “learn,” such as “You can pick up a lot of Spanish by watching Mexican soap operas.” In English, we also talk about needing to “fuel up” our cars (with gas/petrol) or our bodies (with food). For example, “It’s important to fuel up the truck before we start driving to California.”

So although it’s not used in everyday English, we created the expression “word up” on the English, baby! site to mean learning new vocabulary words (or filling our brains with new words, depending on whether you’re thinking about “pick up” or “fuel up”). 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions. We appreciate your feedback!

Best,

Amy

03:29 AM Apr 03 2015 |

arvindgiri

India

Thanks Amy. You answer is helpful.

05:22 AM Apr 06 2015 |