Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

quiet students

sammy33

United States

Hello,

I'm wondering what to do about one student who is very quiet and does not like to participate. How can I draw her out?

Sammy

08:32 PM Aug 03 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fionalee

fionalee

United Kingdom

Offer her to perticipate and tell the advantages of interest.

04:47 AM Aug 04 2009 |

Sukita

Sukita

Ecuador

first make She feels confident in the classroom. and  all the  time ask her help, maybe cleaning the board ,  hand in or hand out works. make easy questions to her in order to get a good answer and don't forget to congratulate her. This kind of students need a lot of attention and help!!! luck!! 

09:26 PM Aug 05 2009 |

wedia

wedia

China

The eye sight is very important when the lesson is going on.Give him or her courage …

Try it ,you will success..

02:54 PM Aug 09 2009 |

d...

Germany

yes, i think wedia is right, because people like your student need a lot of attention and confidence

i hope i could help uLaughing

bye

09:18 PM Aug 09 2009 |

clemmie

clemmie

Canada

I totally agree with LEAF. Quiet does not equal to stupid or tough, They might be a little bit shy depends on situations. In fact, they want to get over it if someone can assist them and be supportive. After all, they are mostly a good person.

01:15 PM Aug 10 2009 |

redlionsoul

Colombia

What happens when a student doesn't like enlish???

what can a teacher do in that case, because the idea is that one…

10:09 PM Aug 10 2009 |

MmLLoO

MmLLoO

Germany

Oh i think she is to shy and  maybe she isn't sure if she should participate or not.

It's also possible that she is afraid of her classmate's reactions, if she gives a wrong answer…

Sometimes the same happens to me to for example in biology I don't participate much cause I'm bad in it and if I find an answer to my teacher's question, most times I'm not sure if it's right or not, therefore I don't tell it.

09:45 PM Oct 11 2009 |

vls

vls

Lao People's Democratic Republic

I agree with MmLLoO for the reaction of the classmates. Maybe she's afraid of being embarrassed in front of them, and that they will make fun of her later. You have to deal with that and make sure that that's not gonna happen with her if she made mistakes in front of her classmates. Make sure nobody will be laughing at her. Get her involved in your class much more than ever by assigning her some tasks, asking her questions, so on. Hope it'll work for you. Good luck!

04:43 AM Jul 07 2010 |

Wonald

Australia

Thanks for sharing.Fantastic post. Bookmarked this site and emailed it to a few friends, your post was that great, keep it up.

70-663 exam
| 646-229 exam | 1z0-051 exam | 70-685 exam

11:24 AM Oct 26 2010 |