Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

"America"

milarpita

milarpita

Germany

"Yes America is gigantic, but a gigantic mistake"

Told by Sigmund Freud (1988)

how does it grab you? I don think so.

Regards

Milan

www.speakeasylkme.blogspot.com 

08:31 AM Aug 04 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

milarpita

milarpita

Germany

Nice discussion. Carry on friends.

04:37 PM Aug 05 2008 |

jadd051

jadd051

Thailand

Hi aljensen,

"Has anyone read Anais Nin? A brilliant writer."

I like her famous qoutes very much! (but never read her book yet..) 

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are"

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

From wikipedia, I found:

"....as a female author describing a primarily masculine constellation of celebrities, Nin's journals have acquired importance as a counterbalancing perspective…"

And

"Nin is hailed by many critics as one of the finest writers of female erotica. She was one of the first women to really explore the realm of erotic writing, and certainly the first prominent woman in modern Europe to write erotica. "

Interesting! I will look for her books sometimes. Hope there are some in english version.

Do you have any recommendation ?

04:54 PM Aug 05 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

BUT ALSO  the election system. That is more terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!Candidates can use money to buy votes! and it is legal!

Buying votes is NOT legal in the US.

There are certainly flaws in the US electoral system and it's difficult to deny the huge effect money has on the results, but it's much better than what they have in some countries where they only pretend to have free elections. 

What countries electoral system do you think is better?

06:26 PM Aug 05 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Maybe "buying votes" is not legal in the US but foreign countries are under the impression that in the US, the more money you can invest in your campaign the more chance you have on winning the election. It also appears to us that candidates make promises to get certain people to support their campaign, which is in essence the same thing as buying votes.

07:32 PM Aug 05 2008 |

oonah

oonah

Germany

Personally I think most of western Europe's democraties have a better electorial system.

07:35 PM Aug 05 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Oonah, it's true that a lot of money is spent by candidates trying to win office. Money buys media exposure, name recognition, and mobilizes voters. But spending more money doesn't always translate into winning spending in general probably matters less than most people think. Incumbency is a much more important factor. 

What aspects of European election processes do you think are better?

07:55 PM Aug 05 2008 |