Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Grammar problems

gkisseberth

Germany

Hi all,

I am an English teacher working in Colombia and I have a question for the English learners.

What is the most difficult part of English grammar for you? (what gives you the most trouble, or is the hardest for you to remember?

08:28 PM Oct 27 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

abdurahiman

India

please help me learn english grammer

08:34 AM Nov 01 2007 |

grisha143

India

hi mam

this is grisha

yup mam i will make efforts , the way u have suggested me to .

thanks alots 4 ur support

have a nice day

05:43 AM Nov 02 2007 |

lengyuewuxin520

China

the most difficult for me is the  syntax, which is relative to readers' understanding.

06:54 AM Nov 02 2007 |

trinityshiva

India

the sentence is wrong going by the norms of the english grammar.  [is] is an auxliary verb and in a perfect tense the usage of auxiliary verb is restricted to [have/has/ had].[1] this has been done [been is also the third form of is but allowed].  This is done does not appeal to me.

11:26 AM Nov 02 2007 |

trinityshiva

India

you may contact me on my messenger .i.  there are only leven verb structures to learn.  once you learn them systematically you will not have any more problem.  all that i need fifteen days with you @ one hour a day.

11:33 AM Nov 02 2007 |

trinityshiva

India

i can dispell your doubt if you read through these three mechanisms through which a human being understands and learns english grammar or any other grammar whatsoever it be.  there are three kinds of mechanisms.  [1] mental or conceptual grammar.  this operates in respect of your mother tongue or natural language.  You are not taught grammar as a baby.  You learn this unconsciously for every one around you speak that language.  This achieved in india by ICSE/CBSE/ and some international schools where they take the child at the age of 2 and provide an english speaking environment.  now as a non native it is not possible for you unless you migrate to an english speaking country. [2] Prescriptive grammar.  this methodology invlolves prescribing some of the many grammar books and work books by the school putting you under a teacher's guidence.  This system also had failed to bare fruit.  [3]  The latest is descriptive grammar which is taught like pure sciences inculcating the logical reasoning in you with structural mechanics well defined.  this methodology had paid rich dividents.  i wish you find one teacher who uses this methodology and within a month your english would change.  you can contact me online occassionally for assistence.

11:44 AM Nov 02 2007 |

trinityshiva

India

Addressing your requirement i feel that an indian teacher like me more useful to you than the native english speaking man.  Native enlish speaker learns the language as mother tongue or natural language.  which baby was taught english grammar by the parent when he started babbling?  I am recommending an indian because an indian does not learn english unconsciously.  Indian learns with proper grammar basis and acqires competence in english.

11:49 AM Nov 02 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Grammar problems
10:43 PM Nov 01 2007

hi mam

this is grisha

yup mam i will make efforts , the way u have suggested me to .

thanks alots 4 ur support

Hi Grisha.     You're very welcome. Keep practicing and I'm sure you will continue to improve. It looks like there are lots of people here you can learn from. 

08:18 PM Nov 02 2007 |

gkisseberth

Germany

trinityshiva:

I think you can offer a lot to the people here, and I agree that often, learning grammar from someone like yourself, who has learned English grammar as a second (or third…) language can be better than learning from a native speaker. I know many non-native speakers who have a better grasp of English grammar than I. Some of the best teachers who work for me are Colombians, not native speakers. 

I have a suggestion. When you reply to someone's question, it will help them if you can copy their question into your reply so they, and everyone else, can know what your answer refers to.

08:22 PM Nov 02 2007 |

VANDA

VANDA

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hello!

I am an English teacher.  It is not my mother tongue, so I have to say that I have some problems with pepositions and the articles. Also I would like to say that I do understand movies in English, watch Discovery and CNN, read English literature. Every day I learn a new word.

12:28 AM Nov 03 2007 |