Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

How can I improve myself like native English speaker?

kingspachi

kingspachi

Canada

Hi,
I am kingspachi, I am from Hong Kong, and I’ve been in Canada from few years. Supposes that I am lucky because I can practice English almost everyday (the case is that I am shy, so sometimes I don’t talk too much.) I can talk to my teachers, and I listen program on radio everyday.
I found that it’s my bottleneck now. I can understand around 60 – 70% from the native speakers. But when they group together and chat, I can barly understand them and I don’t know how to intreput them.
Also, my speaking is poor too because I can only express myself in short sentences, and I don’t know how to describe words in beaufiful sentences.
How can I become a native English speaker?
p.s. I like to chat with you guys online by English. So add my email: kinginvan yahoo com

08:26 AM May 11 2006 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

xiaomaomusic

United States

Hmmm.
You ask a good question.
It might help when you are with a group of people to gently remind them that, yes, you speak English, but it is hard to follow a conversation in a group.
So ask them to speak up, position yourself so you can watch their mouth move, don’t be shy to ask someone to repeat something. Or find someone sympathetic in the group, and you can ask them for a bit of a recap, or ask them questions about what was said.
How to become a native speaker? Well, the answer is sort of that you can only be “native” in one language, and yours might be in Cantonese (or Mandarin?).
So, you can become a damn good English speaker, but you might be setting yourself up for frustration to try to make yourself perfect.
Plus, you probably use English with more care and respect than native speakers. Errors committed by native speakers are pretty atrocious!
I would play to your strengths. Find something you love. And then go out and immerse yourself in it – read fiction and non-fiction books, articles, etc. about it, get yourself to events, etc.
I think the key to finding the beauty in the language might be in reading poetry. If you can work with some poems (take a class, go to poetry readings, read and talk about them with literature loving folks), that might be a way to open your mind up to creative uses of English.
Good luck on your quest! Find the sympathetic people around you.
You might want to try to find some students who are interested in Asian Studies… as they will have a cultural understanding and interest in your background, and you can sort of help each other out. : )
-Holly (former Asian Studies major!)

07:36 PM May 11 2006 |

kingspachi

kingspachi

Canada

Thanks alot, xiaomaomusic.
Now I reconcile the meaning of “native speaker”. And now my goal is to speak fluent English and understand the native speakers perfectly.
Maybe I should improve my listening skill first? Cause why I try to listen to the lessons here, I can’t get some of the meanings as sometimes the speakers speak very fast.
And I hope that I can find some symathetic people around me soon.
Thanks for your suggestion.

07:16 AM May 12 2006 |

xiaomaomusic

United States

Yes. Listening skills might be a good place to start.
I would try to watch the news on t.v. too, because their English tends to be better than just the regular tv shows!
Cnn.com has many stories that they stream online from the website…
Good luck!!!!
-Holly

02:18 PM May 12 2006 |

h_okhovat

h_okhovat

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hello, I'm a man from Iran.I want to improve my English Language.I have spnet much time for learning.I have listened to v.o.a and BBC for many hours but I'm not saticfied.I think Engilsh learing is not more than a mirage for me.What is your advice ?Thanks a lot for your reply

08:20 AM Jul 31 2006 |

h_okhovat

h_okhovat

Hello, I saw your email in ebaby site.I’m interesteted in english learning,art and sightseeig.Tell more more about yourself,like and dislike.We can exchange our idea about world around us, our country, city that we live,and so on.I’m waiting for your reply.
Have a nice day Hassan(From Iran)

07:55 AM Aug 02 2006 |

sky22

Morocco

i think , first of all read much as you can english ,and try to mak friend with people from another country . moreover if you save money and visit  UK ,USA, canda or …

02:46 PM Aug 03 2006 |

kangquy

Viet Nam

If you want to this , let you come to a nation that people speak English, sure that you will get that

07:34 AM Aug 09 2006 |

zhangtan

United States

i am totally agree with what xiao mao music said. don't be shyand ask englsih speaker to repeat with what they said and ask them if they can explain to you the menaings becuase many street people use slangs that arenot nessary consider as proper englsih, so don't worry those too much. however, it's still interesting to know the slangs cause you knew hong kong slangs right? anyway, when you are shy, just =ask yourself onething, in case those people do not want to answer my questions, or reject me, will they kill or eat me? no!!! then if they do not hhave the patience to teach you , ask new people . i am sure there always many people wnat to help. just keep asking questons.    moreover, remeber, native speakers do not just speak in englsih but also think in english. you may want to start think in english. do ot worry grammer too much when you talk or think. i am sure the perfect spoken english skill will come along after you have done tones of self-talk. in addition, you never want to translate englsih to cantanese. bad, bad. i have more tips to give them to you, but i will have to write so much, and i am lazy.   i am not a native speaker, but i have so much experiences about learning english. i promise you you will not regreat to take my tips , and i am positive that you will improve. good luck/.

09:20 AM Jul 11 2008 |

tiffintime

tiffintime

Sri Lanka

I think that a good way to improve one's comprehension of American native English speakers is to watch movies with rather complex dialogues. Listen to small sections over and over agian till you begin to understand what is being said. Take a film like "The Thin Red Line", a film about soldiers at the battle front, and take time to replay parts of the film so that you can finally understand what is being said. 

You may think that Canadians are difficult to understand, but as for me, some of the Americans from south of Washington D. C. are difficult to understand, especially when they speak over the phone. Among the British, it is sometimes impossible to understand the Cockneys of the older generation.

01:17 PM Jul 11 2008 |

ali.a.m

ali.a.m

The best way to improve your english like a native is to find a native speaker and learn from him/her. Being in an english speaking country is the best chance an english learner can have, so you should appreciate every moment being there. Don't be shy, try to make friends there and practice your english through your friendly talkings. People there are really friendly, I'm sure you'll be successful. Good luck!

02:23 AM Jul 18 2008 |