Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

homosexuality worse than terrorism?

gkisseberth

Germany

Oklahoma Rep. Sally Kern on YouTube Clip: Homosexuality Bigger Threat Than Terrorism

Sunday, March 16, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY  —  A YouTube audio clip of a state lawmaker's screed against homosexuality, which she called a bigger threat than terrorism, has outraged gay activists and brought death threats rolling in.

"The homosexual agenda is destroying this nation, OK, it's just a fact," Rep. Sally Kern said recently to a gathering of fellow Republicans outside the Capitol.

"Studies show no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted, you know, more than a few decades. So it's the death knell in this country.

"I honestly think it's the biggest threat that our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam, which I think is a big threat," she said.

07:19 PM Mar 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sunnygirl_only

Egypt

gkissberg, i cant underestand what you think and what sally kern say. could you explain more than that. sorry my english still poor:-)

07:31 PM Mar 16 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

sunnygirl, 

this US politician was saying that she thinks homosexuality is a threat to society. And that it is a bigger danger than terrorism. 

I didn't really say what I thought, I only posted part of the news report.

But for the record, I think she's wrong and I hope the people she represents will vote her out of a job.  

08:20 PM Mar 16 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

homosexuality is not worse than terrorism

and as homosexual is athiest and live in the country of  freedom . do not prevent them to do what ever they desire since there is no rape .leave him get marriage . no proplem

but any normal person do not feel comfortable when he deal with such people . it is just opposite the human standard and morality which is universal I think . and if the normal person believe in  religion like islam and christianity this feeling strengthen to  become disgusting . just because this religion always enhance the actions which are moral , normal and pretty .and fight abnurmality and immorality .

10:52 PM Mar 16 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

I agree, Kanaobi.  It IS something she learned.  But what was her textbook in learning this?  I'll give you a hint – 5-letter word, starts with 'B', and derives from an ancient Greek word for 'book.' 

If you want to define Christianity as something other than actually believing what the Bible says is valid, go right ahead.  But you've got to be way more vocal about it, because the fundamentalists are drowning out your voice right now.  And the Bible DEFINITELY says, (and not just in the Old Testament) that homosexuality is not ok.

11:35 PM Mar 16 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Kana, I have to agree with Blake and Augustus. It's clear that her views on homosexuality are derived from her religious teachings. Now, I also agree with you that it doesn't mean all christians are anti-gay, but you know that many of them are and it's because of their interpretation of the bible. 

It's easy to think that someone with views so out of whack with your own is under the influence of drugs. She is, but the drug is religion. 

and Sally Kern's son has denied reports that he is gay.  

11:43 PM Mar 16 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

kana , you did not understand  me

first ; i wanna say that I commited a mistake when I mentioned christianity . I do not know much about its rule . so I will say nothing about it  . ok

than

i know some homosexualites  are christian and some of them muslim . i know that very will

but i meant that  muslim homosexuality believe that his god forbid having  sex with the same gender . so he must follow this rull in the islamic country  or he will ponished as islam say  . 

but if he is athiest no one can prevent or punish them since they are in the country that do not prevent such deed .

and muslim who  live in country of freedom . no one should prevent him to have sex with his gender .

I think person should be free in his believe every where but not free in his act . he most follow the rule of the country that they live in .

do you understand my opinion ?

i do not want to convert you nor changing you opinion . i just want you to understand me .

I will move to the second point – you did not agree with me in  – after your reply .

01:08 AM Mar 17 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

by the way kana

what do you mean by saying ( the same sex topic again)

do you mean the topic of polygamy ?

you did not like it or you just lough at  .

it is ok . never mind . i expected this reaction .

01:26 AM Mar 17 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

But Mark, the question is how do you take the law codes of the Bible non-literally?  What's the metaphoric meaning of, frex,

"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltness is upon them" ?

01:47 AM Mar 17 2008 |

M. Augustus

United States

Again, I'm sure we can happily concede that point when you tell us what the 'metaphorical' interpretation of eg. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is.

The relevant Hebrew is

כָּל־שֹׁכֵ֥ב עִם־בְּהֵמָ֖ה מֹ֥ות יוּמָֽת׃

02:17 AM Mar 17 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

thanks M AUGUSTUS  

you told me by your reply that i was not wrong in thinking that christianity forbids this deed 

but if kana do not want  to take this rule it is up to her . she is completely free in her believe .

03:31 AM Mar 17 2008 |