Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Jingle All the Day

Jingle All the Day

Date: Dec 24 2007

Themes: Holidays, Music, Pop Culture

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Some people forget to buy their Christmas presents until the last minute. It’s sort of amazing to forget that Christmas is coming because for a month or two before the holiday, Christmas music plays in every store and shop, much to the annoyance of most (imagine the poor people who work somewhere that plays Christmas music!).

A lot of pop stars release Christmas songs that are really good, and classics like “Carol of the Bells” and “Jingle Bells” never get old. But you have to be in a particularly festive mood to be able to stomach them, and the holiday is often more hectic than festive. Jason and Marni have almost lost their minds because of Christmas music.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  Hum hum hum. Hum hum hum. I’m sorry. I cannot get these Christmas tunes out of my head.

Jason:  You have to hum them too? They’re in every store, everywhere. Every, like, radio station is playing them…

Marni:  I know, I’m sorry. Everywhere I go I’m just inundated with Christmas music, and it’s like it just gets stuck in your head and you have to either just embrace it and sing it or hum it or just kinda go crazy.

Jason:  There’s only one place that I actually like Christmas music, like hearing it. Any place that’s like a really, super urban spot, like if there’s tall buildings and it’s really cold and there’s tons of people in coats and Christmas lights in all the trees. Then the Christmas music feels sort of epic somehow, especially if it’s la la la, like that operatic…

Marni:  And more religious-oriented?

Jason:  Maybe, yeah. I mean what drives me crazy though is if I’m at, like, K Mart in the suburbs and then there’s just really hokey Muzak Christmas music.

Marni:  That’s what it’s about. You just gotta accept it that in December you’re just going to be inundated with Christmas music, it’s going to be stuck in your head, you’re going to hear it all the time and then it’s just gone and you don’t hear it for a year, so…

Jason:  That’s true. It’s weird when people release Christmas albums, but I guess they are kind of successful.

Marni:  They are successful. Like Josh Groban...

Jason:  Twisted Sister has a Christmas album that did as well as, like, their other albums did.

Marni:  That’s hilarious. I love that. That’s actually really funny.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni begins humming a Christmas song and Jason can’t believe it. Not only is Christmas music playing everywhere, but his friends are humming it now too!

He says he only likes Christmas music that’s sort of religious-sounding when it plays in an urban setting. He says it feels “epic.”

Marni doesn’t seem to mind Christmas music so much. She just thinks it’s strange how it completely takes over for one month and then goes away.

Even though Christmas music is only played one time of year, a lot of artists release Christmas albums. Some, like gospel-pop singer Josh Groban, you would expect to do so. But even bands like ‘80s metal drag queens, Twisted Sister make Christmas albums. A Twisted Christmas sold as well as any other album by Twisted Sister!

What’s your favorite Christmas song? Who would you most like to see make a Christmas album?

Comments

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Laughing

I love christmasWink

06:13 AM Jun 09 2012 |

vicmay_lo-flo@live.com.mx

Mexico

Laughing

04:18 PM Jun 08 2012 |

xiaoliang_st

Macao

Merry christmas everyone! wish all the people own a heart!

11:50 AM Dec 16 2010 |

xiaoliang_st

Macao

Merry christmas everyone! wish all the people own a heart!

11:50 AM Dec 16 2010 |

koront

China

• Kissmerry christmasto everyone,please keep a happy mind
  • donnot forget to give gift to others
  • My everyone has a good time during the christmas day

09:57 AM Dec 25 2008 |

kausa28

kausa28

Costa Rica

For me Christmas is the best time of the year and it doen´t matter if I hear the same song year after year, what counts is to have a nice time!! :)Laughing 

05:51 PM Dec 23 2008 |

trey

trey

Mexico

HI EVERYONE!

I JUST WANT TO WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

05:30 PM Dec 23 2008 |

shariwang

China

when  Xmas is coming i miss my english tescher She is very kind .but .now .she has come back to USAwhen she was in China she taught us the traditional song -jingle bell.here ,i want to say MERRY Xmas .

09:55 AM Dec 23 2008 |

shariwang

China

when  Xmas is coming i miss my english tescher She is very kind .but .now .she has come back to USAwhen she was in China she taught us the traditional song -jingle bell.here ,i want to say MERRY Xmas .

09:55 AM Dec 23 2008 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

I love Christmas songs LaughingLaughing

06:01 PM Dec 20 2008 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

Merry Christmas to everyone

05:56 PM Dec 20 2008 |

talieh

Germany

In my country we dont have Christmas but i like it and i like jingle bells.

04:18 PM Mar 04 2008 |

Z-ena

Z-ena

Morocco

We often hear it in shops and stores,even if our religion is far away for Christmas !! Tongue out

07:04 PM Mar 03 2008 |

blucekai

China

happy new year!~

12:45 AM Dec 31 2007 |

goodfortune

China

Arrives when 2008, my heartfelt blessing fellow friends and the family member, are forever healthy, safely, are happy, are joyful! Propitious pleasant!

10:37 AM Dec 30 2007 |

Ls_mangowen710

Malaysia

there is a song u must listen to during Christmas,

that is "Last Christmas"

really nice and quite popular,really !!Laughing

04:03 PM Dec 28 2007 |

Ls_mangowen710

Malaysia

there is a nice song i love the most in christmas is "The Last Christmas"

really nice,do you heard before?its quite popular…

04:01 PM Dec 28 2007 |

AmanSTAR

Germany

www.amanstar3.tk

06:14 PM Dec 26 2007 |

blum21nite2002@yahoo.com

Philippines

i love christmas song,its very relaxing for me and feel me comfortable everytime i hear the xmas song.their content and melody are lovely! its really great…

10:58 AM Dec 26 2007 |

thai doan dong

Viet Nam

I am Dong, i am from vietnam.

i like listen music

which i like is  Jingle All the Day, cry my sholder….

06:27 AM Dec 26 2007 |

Likes (179):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast