Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Eagles

Eagles

Date: Jan 21 2008

Themes: Music, Pop Culture

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

At a concert in Long Beach in 1980, the Eagles had a meltdown on stage. Instead of the usual country-influenced rock full of beautiful vocal harmonies, the audience was watched as the band members threatened one another on stage, talking about how they were going to fight once the show was over.

But last year the Eagles came back together to make more music…and money. Listen to Marni and Devan talk about the questionable business practices of the newly reformed Eagles.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Marni

Marni

Devan:  Eagles…They sing “Hotel California,” right?

Marni:  That is probably one of their most popular songs, yes.

Devan:  Yeah, it’s a good song.

Marni:  Do you really like it? Really?

Devan:  Yeah!

Marni:  I gotta say, I’m not much of a fan of the Eagles, and I kind of, I have to say, their new album went number one, Long Road Out of Eden, whatever, they got back together and put all their egos aside…

Devan:  Aren’t they like 80 now?

Marni:  I don’t think they’re that old. But they’re definitely older. But they did this really interesting, kind of, I think, really lame thing and they made an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club. So their album could only be sold there. And they re-did…like, Billboard, somehow they finagled Billboard to redo the way they chart album sales and their album went number one!

Devan:  How so? What did they do to change the way they do albums…or, the charts?

Marni:  I guess they never used to chart albums that had exclusive deals with retailers, but they changed that. They made Billboard somehow change that so the album went number one.

Devan:  So you can only buy the album at Wal-Mart?

Marni:  Only buy it at Wal-Mart!

Devan:  That’s terrible!

Marni:  I know! So you know, independent stores will actually go into Wal-Mart and buy it to sell at their stores. But I don’t know…their music…people love it.

Devan:  That’s terrible.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Devan asks Marni if it’s the Eagles who sing “Hotel California” because it’s one of her favorite songs. Marni isn’t very into the Eagles or that song. The fact that their new album, Long Road Out of Eden, was only sold through Wal-Mart and the band’s website within the US didn’t make her like them any more, either.

Marni tells Devan how Billboard, a publication that tracks album sales, changed the way they determine the number one album in the US so that the Eagles could be number one.

This news upsets Devan, because, as you may recall, she works at an independent record store. But, as Marni points out, no matter how lame their business practices may be, people like the Eagles’ music.

What do you think of the Eagles’ reunion? Is it exciting news for you, or do you think they’re just being greedy?

Comments

Sandra95

Sandra95

Sweden

JUSt hotel california :*

11:24 AM Aug 13 2013 |

Film G.T.O

Film G.T.O

Thailand

I like this them

I like I can tell you why  song

07:13 AM Nov 18 2010 |

Carol Yu

China

Hotel California is a good song.

07:08 AM Jan 29 2008 |

narimanz

narimanz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I Like them , I think next generations will also enjoy when they listen to ‘Hotel California’ song .

09:29 AM Jan 27 2008 |

mim_dica

mim_dica

India

i dont like eagles band and any band in any other country bcz its makes me very tense

08:21 PM Jan 25 2008 |

yueyuezhu

yueyuezhu

China

nice,in my eyes, i have never heard this band and their songs, so i search the internet to listen, really beautiful. they have their style and their own taste, now i am listening. it's important to be different, but why they broke up? ther might be a way.

01:30 PM Jan 25 2008 |

gokuh

gokuh

India

I have not heard them, bt i wud like to..

08:25 AM Jan 25 2008 |

tangxingchuang

China

even though i am not familiar with Eagles,i know that the song Hotel Califonia is very famous!

01:49 PM Jan 24 2008 |

Ellendream

China

Perfect

01:03 PM Jan 24 2008 |

Hunk_wei

Hunk_wei

China

i don't know Eagles,but i think the songs are very good.i'll finding and listening it!

11:43 AM Jan 24 2008 |

ollee

ollee

China

I don't know Eagles very well ,what's the  style of their songs

05:12 AM Jan 24 2008 |

kaitong

kaitong

Thailand

I like Eagles, :)

02:11 AM Jan 24 2008 |

kaitong

kaitong

Thailand

I like Eagles, :)

02:11 AM Jan 24 2008 |

ewan86

ewan86

Malaysia

welcome to the hotel california..

12:51 PM Jan 23 2008 |

momo baby

momo baby

China

I like Hotel California

06:17 AM Jan 23 2008 |

grubby

China

Innocent天那 好快啊 跟不上都晕了

04:30 AM Jan 23 2008 |

icingblue813

China

I am not much of a fan of Eagles too.Actually i don't know much about them.Now from what they have talked about,i don't think I like them any more.whatever,sustainable business practices are important in any business field~

03:15 AM Jan 23 2008 |

EstebanM

EstebanM

Colombia

The Eagles is a extraordinary band. I love their music, and I think that Long Road Out of Eden is one their greatest song

11:48 PM Jan 22 2008 |

sladki

sladki

Belarus

I can't say I know this band and it's music very good, but the song "Hotel California" is perferct.Kiss

03:14 PM Jan 22 2008 |

mango sorbet

Malaysia

Hotel California is my favourite song

08:13 AM Jan 22 2008 |

Likes (125):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter