Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Movie Manners

Movie Manners

Date: Jan 23 2008

Themes: Hobbies, Tech

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

It’s interesting that going to movie is such a social event. People like to go to movies in groups and rarely go by themselves. It’s nice to talk to your friends before and after a movie, but during the movie you just sit and watch and don’t interact with them.

That is, if you’re polite. Not only do some people talk in movies, certain inconsiderate people actually answer their phones in the movie. Listen to Beren and Devan talk about it. Don’t even get Beren started on babies in the theater, though…

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beren

Beren

Devan

Devan

Beren:  You know what I really, really dislike? I almost…I would say I hate it. Is when people talk at movies. Even during the previews! It drives me insane.

Devan:  I hate that, too. People will answer their cell phones in the middle of the movie.

Beren:  Really? I’ve never…

Devan:  You haven’t?

Beren:  No.

Devan:  There was a guy whose phone starting ringing and he was like, “What? I’m at a movie. Yeah, I’m at a movie.” He was all talking loud and he was like, “I’ll call you back.” And I was like, “You can’t wait to answer your phone until after the movie?”

Beren:  Yeah, how did he know his phone was ringing?

Devan:  Because it rang! He had the ringer on.

Beren:  He didn’t turn it off?

Devan:  People leave their phones on all the time. Have you ever had a phone ring at a crucial moment in a movie right when something’s about to happen and a phone goes off?

Beren:  No, I’ve only see that happen in, like, movies where the characters are in the theater.

Devan:  That’s terrible. People need to learn movie manners.

Beren:  Totally. And babies. I don’t think you should take babies to the theater.

Devan:  I know! It’s not like they’re even enjoying it or understanding. Who brings a baby to a movie? Seriously. Get a babysitter.

Beren:  And they always cry because…

Devan:  I’m sorry, hold on my phone’s ringing. Hello? Yeah. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I have to take this call.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Beren says that it drives her crazy when people talk at movies. She even likes it to be silent during the previews.

Devan says that what’s worse is when people answer their phones at a movie. Beren has only seen that happen in movies, but Devan says she’s heard people have a phone conversation right there in a theater.

Beren and Devan agree that bringing a baby to a movie is a bad idea, too. The baby can’t understand the movie and it’s really loud, so of course the baby is going to cry and distract everyone from the film.

In the middle of Devan and Beren’s conversation, Devan’s phone rings and she answers it. That’s not quite as rude as answering it in a theater, but it’s still not very nice.

What do you think is proper behavior at a movie?

Comments

aLShaima

aLShaima

Oman

guys could place their phones in vibrate mode while watching out ,  but how to deal with babies cries ?! lol 

07:17 PM Aug 28 2014 |

miisha

Morocco

For me i’m never beset with such problems , last time i’v been to a social event watching need for speed film , it’s was such a great time spent with my friend , i really enjoyed ,we turned off our mobile phones up front , but that’s pity , my friend will travel abroad for his studies , so i have to wait until the summer to watch an other film with him !!!

01:56 PM Aug 28 2014 |

siera12

United States

I love to watch hollywood action movies!!!

02:36 PM Jun 18 2011 |

wishtolearn

El Salvador

i hardly ever go to the movies. its just that i fall asleep in the middle of it hehehheh so i prefer to rent it!

04:41 PM May 21 2011 |

tiger_bagira

Greece

NICE

11:20 AM Nov 14 2010 |

largado

largado

Brazil

3 days ago i was in a social event watching paranormal activie 2 on the cinema, and i can't pay attention at the movie very well, that was the worst kind on the way….

01:03 AM Oct 29 2010 |

otrovlad

otrovlad

Ecuador

the worst is when a cellphone rings….that makes me upset

03:12 PM Aug 18 2010 |

minw

minw

China

i havn't been toi cinema for years till recently i've been there to watch mammia.

i don't like,or i would say i hate  any disturb while i am enjoying the movie!but normally sitting there for hours and watching a movie is not my habit!as i am not a indoor person!

02:21 PM Dec 24 2008 |

bigmouse2008

China

Movie manners is very important .Guys should be  go to cinema on time or talk in lowest voice.after all that is the place in public.

02:37 AM Feb 11 2008 |

亞璇

亞璇

Taiwan

Good!

05:39 AM Feb 06 2008 |

Carol Yu

China

sometimes we need a silent surrounding.

08:45 AM Jan 31 2008 |

e_queeling

e_queeling

Malaysia

You should switch off your phone before enter to theater!!

08:41 AM Jan 31 2008 |

e_queeling

e_queeling

Malaysia

i don't like Devan talking she talk too fast!

08:38 AM Jan 31 2008 |

gunslinger

gunslinger

Brazil

Popcorn is a bad thing in movies, but just when someone throw it in you.

12:56 AM Jan 30 2008 |

Markatoo

Markatoo

Saudi Arabia

i lieks movie specially in cinema and the first thing i do i turn off my mobile :p

12:58 PM Jan 29 2008 |

Markatoo

Markatoo

Saudi Arabia

Sit silent the best things you could do when you watch movies

12:52 PM Jan 29 2008 |

sherryfun

sherryfun

Taiwan

Yeah,I agree that we should turn off the cell phone before we go into the theater or before the movie start showing,it’s kind of important manner people got to learn,and always be politely!:)

01:56 PM Jan 28 2008 |

eazycase

eazycase

Taiwan

Nobody likes to hear other sounds when movie is going.It's not very nice.I really hope everyone could know the movie manners.

07:35 AM Jan 28 2008 |

wenchao

China

I think we should keep silent before the movie over.

12:37 PM Jan 27 2008 |

wenchao

China

yes I think we should keep silent before the movie over.

12:36 PM Jan 27 2008 |

Likes (176):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast