Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Twilight

Twilight

Date: Jan 07 2009

Themes: Alternative, Romance

Grammar: Definite & Indefinite Articles

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There’s something romantic about vampires. Maybe it’s that they have to keep a deep, dark secret. Or since they live forever, maybe it’s their old-world quality that makes them attractive. And drinking someone’s blood is strangely sexual.

Or, maybe it’s just that vampires tend to be played by really good-looking actors. Remember Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt in Interview with the Vampire? How about Kiefer Sutherland from the The Lost Boys?

Now you can add to that list Robert Pattinson, who stars in the new and extremely popular vampire romance Twilight. Listen to Marni tell Devan how the romance got her to the theater, but she’d had enough by the time she left.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Devan

Devan

Marni:  I broke down yesterday, actually, I was totally excited to go see Twilight.

Devan:  You saw it?

Marni:  I wanted to know what all the hype was about. OK, I did not read the books, but I have to admit I went because I totally think that kid, that guy’s cute. Hot vampire? I was in.

Devan:  And was it amazing? Epic?

Marni:  No, sadly. In some respects. In some respects, not so good. Like there were just so many scenes of them looking at each other, you know, longingly, and it was like, “Just kiss already!”

Devan:  Was it scary at all?

Marni:  It was not scary. But there’s the whole genre of…

Devan:  ...the undead.

Marni:  And they go into a little bit of that, the whole theory of being immortal and whatnot, but not really. I mean, it’s more about just them being hot for each other.

Devan:  Did they have cool costumes and cool fangs at least?

Marni:  No, they didn’t even have fangs.

Devan:  They didn’t have fangs.

Marni:  No.

Devan:  Well that sounds like a bummer. I kind of want to see that other vampire movie that came out at the same time. Do you know what I’m talking about? The Swedish one?

Marni:  Oh, Let the Right One In? Is that the one?

Devan:  Yeah.

Marni:  Yeah, I’ve heard about that. I’ve heard that’s great.

Devan:  Maybe that’s the one to see.

Marni:  Yeah. Well, I actually spoke to some kids who are really into the whole Twilight series and I think it’s great that kids are reading, so that’s a huge plus, but they said the movie doesn’t do the books justice. Which is generally the case.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Definite & Indefinite Articles" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni admits that she went to Twlight because she thinks the star is hot. The movie is really popular, so Devan expects her to say that it was great. But Marni didn’t really like it.

For a vampire movie, there wasn’t much about vampires in it, and Marni thought the romance was really drawn out. Devan says maybe she’ll go see Let the Right One In a Swedish vampire movie that gets great reviews. It’s vampire romance too, only it stars 12-year-olds.

Do you think vampires are sexy? If you fell in love with a vampire, would you let him or her turn you into one?

Comments

fazl1368

fazl1368

Afghanistan

Hello dear friend, I love you, I really like how you like

( )

07:28 AM Jul 28 2016 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

Yeah those kids are right,they didn’t do the book justice,well the movie is fine,but as a novel it’s much more better,really! i still reading all the books,and i can’t get tired of doing that,and i can do it over and over,i keep asking my self,FROM WHERE DID STEPHANIE MEYER BRING SUCH THIS BRIGHT IDEAS!!! She’s absolutly amazing,unbelievable!! I love her,Twilight saga,remans my favorite book ever ,of course after The holy Book,KORAN <3 

06:18 PM Aug 24 2015 |

zerdi44

zerdi44

Turkey

I loved the twilight and Edward Cullen is my favorite actor.

11:27 AM May 05 2014 |

1 person likes this

mahrad3

mahrad3

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

the book is much more better and watching the film reminds me the time that i used to read twilight secretly at school!!during the class!! but totally the film is not good enough and could have been made better and robert patinson is not attractive enough!

05:15 PM Aug 17 2013 |

princessanika

sooooo good,it is twilight 1,or 2?

i think it’s 1,it is very nice movie and i love it Keristen Stwert is a nice stare with Robbert Patinsson,this movie is about the vampires and i’m creazy about them.  and specially i like Jakson Rathbon(Jasper)and Taylor Luitner(Jakob Black)

03:06 PM Dec 24 2012 |

Hasti.abc

Hasti.abc

I have seen it.IT says like everything u are i mean being humankind i love what i am and i proud of myself that i have power more than anything in this world axcept GOD.

07:01 PM Sep 27 2012 |

Nina_Smith

Nina_Smith

Australia

Twilight is my favorite movie.

i know Twilight is very famous and better than many many movies.

09:53 AM Sep 19 2012 |

Nafas75

Nafas75

oh my god it’s a nice movie with VAM PIRELaughing

12:28 PM Sep 05 2012 |

bitterblue

bitterblue

Italy

My idea of “vampire! is SO far away from STEPHENIE MEYER’S.

My first movie about vampires was Bram Stoker’s Dracula. And is totally different. And totally better, in my opinion.

In my mind vampires DON’T sparkle. They’re cruel and cold. And even if they fall in love with someone there’s no happy ending for them.

That’s why I don’t like very much Twilight. 

However I think that vampires are kind of sexy as the way they feed…sexy and awful at the same time.

I wouldn’t let him turn me. :P

01:36 PM Feb 02 2012 |

serdarbilginer

Turkey

it depends the vampire is beautiful or not :) of course ıow uld not her turn me into a vampire. who wants to drink blood. but ı would like to feel being immortal.

12:37 PM Feb 02 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

I think the horror  movies  has became a part in our lives .

I dont like watch it when I am alone I really feel afraid .

specially when the woman do it .

the woman should be beautiful not ugly .

this kind of movies arent usueful to our children .

frankly , there are many things different between the artists , sometimes when you watch such like this movies you forget what this move means .

everything depending on the concept if the move express on the real story you will in the harmony

09:22 AM Jan 30 2012 |

Iris Liu

Iris Liu

China

I was interested in this film after saw the movie poster.I have to say edward is really handsome.I like him.Even if he is a vampire,so what?As long as he loves me, and I am willing to give him all.

08:03 AM Jan 30 2012 |

AUL

AUL

Azerbaijan

i like this movie it is really wonderful Laughing

11:01 AM Jan 03 2012 |

1 person likes this

SKILAt

SKILAt

Brazil

Laughing

01:49 AM Nov 20 2011 |

khaled Alshmmry

Saudi Arabia

Good movie Ilike it.

06:16 PM Nov 18 2011 |

1 person likes this

lina1979

lina1979

Tunisia

I love the movie twilight I  love edward is great and cuteWink

11:01 AM Nov 16 2011 |

KardelenF

KardelenF

Turkey

I loved the movie but I hate Edward Cullen

I really very very love Alice Cullen.She is pretty =)

The movie really great!

04:33 PM Oct 17 2011 |

barbie1o

Bulgaria

this movie is superb .. but Vampire Diaries is number 0ne – my opinion :)

12:47 PM May 04 2011 |

jbfa

Saudi Arabia

I loved the movie but I agree with marni the move dose not do the books justice ! edward is sooo cute Smile

05:30 PM Mar 05 2011 |

mihaelllla

Romania

I LOVE EDWARD, IS MY IDOL ! His eyes seduce you :X and his voice makes you feel flying  in the sky.

06:28 PM Jan 06 2011 |

Likes (122):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast