Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

breathing down my neck

breathing down my neck

Date: Sep 28 2005

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“What made this so wonderful was…not having anybody breathing down my neck.”
Sheryl Crowe, talking about recording her new album, Wildflower.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

being constantly watched, bothered or pressured by somebody

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Oh, it can be frustrating when someone is breathing down your neck. You become flustered and antsy. Your skin crawls and it seems as if the walls are closing in on you. The pressure is on!
When someone is breathing down your neck, they are constantly watching over you or bothering you to do something. In the example above, Sheryl Crowe says that the wonderful thing about recording her latest album was that she didn’t have record producers breathing down her neck, asking about the songs she was going to record, how many songs she would record, when they would be finished, what they would sound like, and so on and so on. She has freedom and elbow room to work at her own pace. People left her alone so she could be creative and record her music.
We all have people breathing down our necks. My parents are breathing down my neck for me to visit them. The electric company is breathing down my neck about my unpaid electric bill. (I’ll pay tomorrow, I promise!) My instructor is breathing down my neck to finish a research paper.
Who’s breathing down your neck, and why?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My boss has been breathing down my neck about getting that project done.”

“She’s been breathing down my neck about fixing her car. I guess I’ll do it this weekend.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

When sb breathes down your neck, they want you to be quicker, they hasten you
by Lindsay
tuney stopped by somebody
by tuney
to threaten in pursuit
by ameliabei
cool you down by saying something frustrating.
by helen.huang
Wha she wants to say is that there were no one supervising what she was doing at all time, she felt free of doing anything that came up to her mind.
by Jocelyn Ashiyadeth
I think, breathing down my neck refers when other people are hounding or pressuring
by manuel_monarrez
it may mean that nobody looks down upon her work.
by whjulia
be guarded or forced by someone
by iamedith

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

AlbertOn

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Hello! I’m LAKESHIA. I am from Anatone.
does arimidex need prescription Sahuarita and generic version of arimidex anastrozole 1mg tablets generic arimidex Albertsat: Medical practitioner recommend also: arimidex low testosterone Durham and is there a generic arimidex “We’re seeing a mini-epidemic,” Gardner says.
P.S. Sorry for selection matter to leave a proffer for men about is arimedex hd a good pct concurrency charity measures

09:32 PM Mar 12 2014 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast