Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
Using Humor to learn English

Using Humor to learn English

Date: Jan 30 2012

Topic: Reading

Author: englishteacher24/7

Lesson

Humor can be used to learn English.  The goal is to understand the joke and develop your comprehension of English.  Combine this method along with others to have an alternative to grammar.  Have fun reading!

Comments

englishteacher24/7

United States

Jokes can be another method to learn about English and culture. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

1. “An abstract noun,” the teacher said, “is something you can think of, but you can’t touch it.  Can you give me an example of one?”

“Sure,” a teenage boy replied.  “My father’s new car.”

2. A guy told his friends: “I left my job because of illness and fatigue.”

Turns out, his boss got sick and tired of him.

3. A surgeon was invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a friend’s house.

The host deftly carved the turkey and said, “I’d make a pretty good surgeon, don’t you think?”

The surgeon replied: “Anybody can take it apart.  Let’s see you put it back together again.”

4. A lady had just totaled her car in a horrific accident. Miraculously, she managed to pry herself from the wreckage without a scratch and was applying fresh lipstick when the state trooper arrived.  

“My goodness!” the trooper gasped. “Your car looks like an accordion that

was stomped on by an elephant. Are you okay, ma’am?”  

“Why, yes, officer, I’m just fine,” the lady chirped.  

“Well, how in the world did this happen?” the officer asked as he surveyed the wrecked car.  
“Officer, it was the strangest thing!” the lady began. “I was driving along
this road when I started to doze off. When I woke up this tree from out of
nowhere pops up in front of me. 

So I swerved to the right, and there was another tree!  I swerved to the left and there was ANOTHER tree!  I swerved to the right and there was another tree!  I swerved to the left and there was….” 

“Uh, ma’am,” the officer said, cutting her off, “There isn’t a tree on this
road for 30 miles. That was your air freshener swinging back and forth on
your rear view mirror.”

5. ”Dad, I think the Smiths next door are angry at us.” 

“Why is that?”

“They’re probably mad because our dog can retrieve the newspaper, and theirs can’t.”

“How could you possibly know that? We don’t even subscribe to the paper.”
“Yeah, that’s probably got something to do with it, too.”

If you cannot understand one of the jokes, please ask and I’ll explain it.

www.mikeysFunnies.com

01:28 AM Jan 21 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

You’re welcome. Thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback.

04:30 AM Jan 18 2018 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

Thanks a lot !

12:54 AM Jan 18 2018 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Explanation of the joke:

A young lady was driving a very sporty convertible Chevrolet Camaro sports car with these words on the rear license plate frame:

“Saw it, wanted it, had a fit, got it!”

Explanation of the joke:

The young lady driving the sporty car was saying by her message that she saw the car she was driving and wanted it because she liked it. Therefore, she went home and had a fit (put pressure on someone, maybe her husband or father) to get her the car and as a result, she got it (received the car).

You may wonder, “What a brat!” Avoid taking everything literally, it was a light-hearted joke.

When you’re learning English, also develop a skill to know when to take things literally and when to just roll with it.

07:04 AM Jul 18 2017 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Humor is one way to learn English by understanding the point of the joke. The goal is to take formal English and help you understand how it is actually used with everyday English. 

In the case of the humor message in my last post, I will provide you with a hint to help you understand the driver’s message:

Hint: The object of the message is the car the driver is driving which is referred to as “it.” Afterwards, determine what the phrase “had a fit” means and you’ll have your answer. I invite any native speakers of English to post an answer.

I’ll provide some final thoughts at the end.

03:40 AM Jul 13 2017 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

A young lady was driving a very sporty convertible Chevrolet Camaro sports car with these words on the rear license plate frame:

“Saw it, wanted it, had a fit, got it!”

Do you understand the humorous message she was communicating?

07:50 AM Jul 09 2017 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Navidarish, that joke is a classic.

No one has heard all the jokes, never worry about sharing one.

06:09 AM Oct 14 2016 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Humor can be used to understand English because it causes you to think about the punchline. Below is a joke I received from a friend and I’m passing it on to you.

Joke:

A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered, with his thumb squarely on top of the meat.

“Are you crazy?” yells the customer. “Don’t bring my meal with your hand on my steak!”

“What,” says the waiter, “you want it to fall on the floor again?”

Source: www.MickeysFunnies.com

02:07 AM Oct 13 2016 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

A woman’s work is from sun up to sun down, a man’s work is never done.

Or is it the other way around?

06:45 PM Sep 24 2016 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

NavidArash, we have a recent new saying in the U.S., “Keep it real!”

05:53 AM Oct 22 2015 |

NavidArash

NavidArash

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I agree with you, Mr. Alston.

I read this joke for the first time in a book called “one minute for myself ”. I don’t have a lot of jokes to tell but this one is my favorite and I can’t get enough of it and I’ve passed it on to a lot of friends and acquaintances so far. At first I was a little hesitant to post it here because the joke is well-known and the odds are that the members already heard it. But as everyone is friendly here I ventured to post the joke.

This fanatic guy forgot what was really happening around him, he prayed for help and God sent helps, but he doesn’t count them as he expected God himself to fly over his roof and rescue him. 

God is quite amazed and confused by this weirdo and It was like that God would say if you want to make a fool out of yourself, no problem and good luck with that but I got quite a reputation in universe, why you take my name in vain?

02:15 PM Sep 27 2015 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

NavidArash, your humor story makes a very good point. We should avoid spiritualizing practicality away. Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees!

02:18 AM Sep 27 2015 |

NavidArash

NavidArash

The Drowning Man

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, “Jump in, I can save you.”

The stranded fellow shouted back, “No, it’s OK, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me.”

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. “The fellow in the motorboat shouted, “Jump in, I can save you.”

To this the stranded man said, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, “Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety.”

To this the stranded man again replied, “No thanks, I’m praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith.”

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, “I had faith in you but you didn’t save me, you let me drown. I don’t understand why!”

To this God replied, “I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?”

NavidArash

NavidArash

Probably the husband’s gonna lose his other leg too (not by a surgeon but by his angry wife). in some cases, betraying a woman would cost more than an arm and a leg, so the poor husband should consider himself lucky if he only ends up losing a leg.

As you make your bed so you must lie in it.

04:48 AM Sep 18 2015 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Here’s a change of pace; Men, you gotta love your wife joke.

Husband’s message (by cellphone)

Honey, I was involved in a car accident. Paula brought me to the hospital.

They have been making tests and taking X-rays.

The blow to my head has been very severe, fortunately it seems that it did not cause any serious injury.

But I have three broken ribs, a compound fracture in the left leg, and they may have to amputate the right foot.

Wife’s Response:

Who is Paula?

http://www.mikeysfunnies.com/

englishteacher24/7

United States

A certain man could not sleep because his conscience was bothering him due to the fact that he cheated on his taxes. 

So he decided to send the taxing authority a check with the following letter attached:

Dear Taxing Authority,

I confessed that I cheated on my taxes and my conscience was bothering me to the point that I couldn’t sleep.  Therefore, I am sending you this money so I can get some sleep.

If I still can’t sleep, I’ll send in the rest!

englishteacher24/7

United States

There was a drought in the land and crops were dying from a lack of rain.  A local pastor called his congregation to come to the church for a three-day prayer for rain.

On Day 1: The congregation came out to pray for rain.  After 15 minutes, the pastor sent them home without praying.

On Day 2: The congregation returned again to pray for rain.  After 15 minutes, the pastor sent them home without praying.

On Day 3: The congregation returned again to pray for rain.  After 15 minutes, the pastor told them again to return home without praying.

However, one of the parishioners before leaving spoke on behalf of the congregation to the pastor the following concern:

Spokesman: ”Pastor, we are in a drought and you requested for us to come out and pray for rain.  We came out each day to pray for rain and you are sending us home again!”

Pastor: ”I realize we are in a drought and believe that if we exercise faith in God, through prayer we can receive rain.  However, as I looked out on the congregation, I didn’t see anyone with an umbrella!”

01:04 AM Jun 28 2013 |

englishteacher24/7

United States

Nijar, you’re welcome!

01:57 AM Jun 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

englishteacher24/7

United States

Damavand, I’m glad you understand.

I hope John doesn’t lose it all or he’ll be in trouble!

01:54 AM Jun 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

I told her: “I might not be rich, I have no money or villa or cars or companies like my friend John, but I love you and adore you.” she looked at me with tears in her eyes, huged me like there is no tomorrow and whispered in my ear:

“If you really love me, introduce me to John….!!!!!”

05:02 PM Jun 01 2013 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: