Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

stick up for

stick up for

Date: Jan 23 2020

Themes: Celebrity, Music, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“Growing up, I learned to never let a man make me feel helpless, and to always stick up for women.”

Singer Christina Aguilera, talking about her childhood (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not allow (someone) to be hurt

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Nelson Mandela was a civil rights leader famous for helping people in South Africa. He fought against a system where non-whites did not have the same rights as whites. He was a voice for people who could not speak for themselves. He stuck up for the people of his country.

When you stick up for someone, you are helping that person in a way that they cannot do for themselves. When someone is not nice to you, you stick up for yourself, right? So, if a big kid at your school is being mean to a smaller kid, you should stick up for the smaller kid. Or, if you believe that animals are being treated badly around you, you could stick up for animal rights. It’s always a good thing to stick up for those who cannot do it for themselves.

Christina Aguilera learned to stick up for women when she was young. She uses her power as a celebrity to make sure men and women are treated equally.

Have you ever had to stick up for someone? What happened?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I grew up in a bad neighborhood, so I always had to stick up for myself.”

“John was being bullied today, so I had to stick up for him!”

“It’s important to stick up for everyone’s rights.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

MaryTR2

United States

I always stick up for my little sister. She’s only 13 and I know that she’s vulnerable at this age. I seldom use this expression in my written speech. When I write some paper, I try to avoid it as it’s slang.

Mary – thesis writing amateur

06:42 AM Sep 29 2016 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

On my job I have always to stick up for my staff and at the same time to make oparations smoothly to avoid complaints from colleagues and customers!

12:14 PM Aug 25 2015 |

majiaoqin

majiaoqin

China

i stick up for myself right now. i need more carage and confidence

12:21 PM Apr 07 2015 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Great Expression

07:47 PM Apr 03 2015 |

2 people like this

Hayatng

Hayatng

Morocco

no matter what the world is harsh and cheoti, each must stick up for oneself for it is a sort of independeny. I would not recomand to let someone stick up for someone else, rather boost the confidene to be able to do it and survive the struggles. after all, struggles are what make us stronger and wise. 

10:38 PM Apr 02 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Julito, you are right. It seems that “good politicians” has become an endangered species. It was something I wanted to mention when it came to sticking up for something needs to be supported, and you’d never find what’s worthy more than needy people in every part of the world, but who cares! It’s the power of authority blinding and deafening people :(

09:02 PM Apr 02 2015 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Now i am in big trouble  , you may wonder why, the answer is as simple as this… i stick up for honest  politics, that at the time of casting my vote i know that  i  wouldn`t be dissappointed . The problem is that honesty in politics is like dinosaurios , a specie in extinction . We are about to choose a new President , I don`t trust any of the candidates ,in campaing they promise a big change in the country , blah, blah, blah, Ahh baby kissing  also.  , but when they are in power,  it looks as if are suddenly suffering from  amnesia .   

08:50 PM Apr 02 2015 |

phn_uk

phn_uk

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Well, to stick up for ourselves is something that we all do in our life, but to stick up for others especially those we don’t know, strangers is completely different. Not all people are like that. Those who behave in this way are very admirable in my opinion and one name that really stands our among others, who is known to everybody, is Nelson Mandela, who spent all his life sticking up for poor and black people. People afraid of standing up aagainst the white in power. He stood up against all of them, endured lots of pain, difficulties to show that black people are not nothing in the eyes of white people. That’s why he became well-known all around the globe and will always be rememberd as the one who really stuck up for the right of poor and innocent people.

08:27 PM Apr 02 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Like Shoba, I have been always sticking up for myself, my brothers, my friends and every one needed my hand, but none was that big to remember.

I always respect people who stand up for the weak, the poor, the needy and anybody that really needs it.. I just respect human humans, that still act as pure as they’d been created, those who act spontaneously against any injustice in any of its forms, not giving a damn what the consequences could be.

Scienceboy, hard life makes true men :) I’m sure your father is so proud of you.

06:31 PM Apr 02 2015 |

arun843

India

I’m stick up for me.this is sad, isn’t it?

03:28 PM Apr 02 2015 |

1 person likes this

willy1908

willy1908

Peru

I always will stick up for my little cousin who is like my brother.

02:30 PM Apr 02 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

Thank you Mahtab, thank you Shoba, Actually I lost my dad only, not both. But it was still difficul as my mother did not hava a job and had ti raise her 4 kids on her own. I am Thankful to God for what I hava today.

02:24 PM Apr 02 2015 |

Shoba

Shoba

Sri Lanka

I have done many little, little “sticking up” business for myself and others in every day life. But haven’t done anything big that is worth sharing here. 

ScienceBoy, I’m also sorry to hear about your parents. I hope you will soon find a loving partner who will make up for everything you lost. Tc! 

12:19 PM Apr 02 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

AS ola33 said, normally if we are in a situation that someone in a dangerous, we without thinking try to do something for her or him, but I feel in my heart, I prefer stick up for how is weak, like kids, some women, old people, poor people and weak animals or birds, if I can.

I am curios to know in a situation if there are a kid and animal you first stick up for kid or animal? How about a woman and an old man?

11:14 AM Apr 02 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

Dear Sienceboy!

Im sorry to hear that and I pray for your parents to rest in peace!

They are looking you now and they are proud of you!

I always try to stick up for animals rights because I love animals so much and unfortunately many people dont care about them!

Also I stick up for anyone who needs my support if I can do anything for him/her!

Nelson Mandela was a great man and I respect him so much!

It is so wonderful if someone bears many hard things and dosent think about his life to stick up for his people rights!

S&W

S&W

China

oh scienceboy,i am sorry to hear your experience,your family must be pround of who you are today.You are very kind to help others.

06:27 AM Apr 02 2015 |

blueshar

blueshar

China

Hello everyone,is there anyone who would like to talk me something about what do you think about this lesson?

05:52 AM Apr 02 2015 |

ScienceBoy

ScienceBoy

Turkey

I stick up for orphans. I grew up as an orphan so I know exactly how it is so I try to help them with anything I can.

Poor bears S&W, I am with you on that.

S&W

S&W

China

@ola It was exposed by publice media in 2012,well it has been three years from now.however,i am sad for this and still remember that

01:34 AM Apr 02 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

I didn’t know about it, S&W. It’s sad.

01:18 AM Apr 02 2015 |

Likes (16):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo