Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

water under the bridge

water under the bridge

Date: Oct 08 2015

Themes: Celebrity, Fashion, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“The hard times made me everything I am today. It’s all water under the bridge now, but people being mean to me definitely made me stronger.”

Model Kimora Lee Simmons, talking about problems that she no longer has with other people (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

no longer an issue or problem

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

In 2008, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton both wanted to be the President of the United States. They said some things about each other that weren’t very nice. But later, when Barack Obama became the president, he gave Hillary Clinton a job as the Secretary of State. Their differences became water under the bridge.

Water under the bridge can be anything that was a problem before, but now is not. For example, let’s say you got in a big fight with your mom. You both yelled at each other, and got really mad. But after some time passed, you said sorry, and now that fight is water under the bridge. It doesn’t matter anymore.

Model Kimora Lee Simmons says that when she was young, people were very mean to her. This used to make her sad, but that is now all water under the bridge. It no longer bothers her.

What is water under the bridge for you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My brother was mean to me when we were kids, but that’s all water under the bridge. We get along great now.”

“I apologized to Ruth for laughing at her, but she said it was water under the bridge. I’m so relieved she’s not angry with me.”

“Kenny and I had a horrible breakup, but that’s water under the bridge. We’re good friends now.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

events that have happened before and they are not important anymore and you can do nothing about them.
by zhaleh hoor
The situation is settled down.
by La Princesse de la vie
Manu4 Issues fully overcome now.
by Manu4
aijaciba Something is in the past and no longer important.
by aijaciba

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

Fortunately I alwayys relieve very fast after fighting with somebody. Water under the bridge is a common felling for me after some tough argument ;)

06:11 PM Oct 17 2015 |

Djana

Djana

Algeria

I almost fight with my sisters alot,but then it becomes a water under the bridge,this is the way how it goes between us!

08:45 AM Oct 10 2015 |

Semen_80

Russian Federation

Today I had a presentation skills training. Home work is to prepare the presentation regarding your job and role to make a speech on public tomorrow. Looking forward to when it’s finished and I will be able to say: “You know, it is water under the bridge, I was not nervous while speaking!”. ))

06:43 PM Oct 08 2015 |

Wuthering

United States

Water under the bridge  v s  too much water under the bridge  . Are they different meaning ? it is kind of confuse to me ! .

03:22 PM Oct 08 2015 |

1 person likes this

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

People bring up thing that happen a long time ago.

12:12 PM Oct 08 2015 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast