Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
The 11 rules of writing

The 11 rules of writing

Date: Oct 02 2007

Topic: Writing

Author: rhyme_reason

Lesson

1. To join two independent clauses, use a comma followed by a conjunction, a semicolon alone, or a semicolon followed by a sentence modifier.

2. Use commas to bracket non restrictive phrases, which are not essential to the sentence's meaning.

3. Do not use commas to bracket phrases that are essential to a sentence's meaning.

4. When beginning a sentence with an introductory phrase or an introductory (dependent) clause, include a comma.

5. To indicate possession, end a singular noun with an apostrophe followed by an "s". Otherwise, the noun's form seems plural.

6. Use proper punctuation to integrate a quotation into a sentence. If the introductory material is an independent clause, add the quotation after a colon. If the introductory material ends in "thinks," "saying," or some other verb indicating expression, use a comma.

7. Make the subject and verb agree with each other, not with a word that comes between them.

8. Be sure that a pronoun, a participial phrase, or an appositive refers clearly to the proper subject.

9. Use parallel construction to make a strong point and create a smooth flow.

10. Use the active voice unless you specifically need to use the passive.

11. Omit unnecessary words.

RULE 1 – EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  The delivery boy knew he carried strange cargo, but still ventured off unafraid.

·  The delivery boy knew he carried strange cargo, but he still ventured off unafraid.

·  My math teacher doesn't know how to lecture, she should have remained a student.

·  My math teacher doesn't know how to lecture; she should have remained a student.

·  Gregor has not changed physically; but has given himself an excuse to separate himself from the pain of previous experiences.

·  Gregor has not changed physically; however, he has given himself an excuse to hide from the pain of previous experiences.

RULE 2 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  The bus driver with her ears tuned to the roar decided to take the grumbling bus on a detour across the football field.

·  The bus driver, her ears tuned to the roar, decided to take the grumbling bus on a detour across the football field.

·  My window as dirty as it is reveals the beauty of nature on a snowy morning.

·  My window, as dirty as it is, reveals the beauty of nature on a snowy morning.

·  King and Lucille, his customized black Gibson have electrified audiences all over the world.

·  King and Lucille, his customized black Gibson, have electrified audiences all over the world.

RULE 3 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  The man, who has too many ties, has too few necks.

·  The man who has too many ties has too few necks.

·  The cats, with six toes, are a unique attraction of the tour of Hemingway's house.

·  The cats with six toes are a unique attraction of the tour of Hemingway's house.

RULE 4 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  After buying the five pound jar of marshmallow spread he set off in search of a bulk portion of peanut butter.

·  After buying the five pound jar of marshmallow spread, he set off in search of a bulk portion of peanut butter.

·  With this he bestows the responsibility of his own happiness on his mother and father.

·  With this, he bestows the responsibility of his own happiness on his mother and father.

·  As she begins to gain independence it is natural for Grete to regard the idea of dependency as repugnant.

·  As she begins to gain independence, it is natural for Grete to regard the idea of dependency as repugnant.

RULE 5 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  Though the lobsters claws were bound, the creature made a threatening gesture as they dropped it in the pot.

·  Though the lobster's claws were bound, the creature made a threatening gesture as they dropped it in the pot.

·  In a democracy, anyones vote counts as much as mine.

·  In a democracy, anyone's vote counts as much as mine.

·  There is a vast age difference between Victors mother and father.

·  There is a vast age difference between Victor's mother and father.

RULE 6 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  Tumbling down the hill, Jack yelled: "Gosh, I'm sick of this."

·  Tumbling down the hill, Jack yelled, "Gosh, I'm sick of this."

·  Her letter spoke to him in harsh tones, "You never fail to repulse me."

·  Her letter spoke to him in harsh tones: "You never fail to repulse me."

·  He views the problem as a slight delay or a sickness that will eventually disappear, "I will go back to sleep for a few minutes and forget all this nonsense."

·  He views the problem as a slight delay or a sickness that will eventually disappear: "I will go back to sleep for a few minutes and forget all this nonsense."

RULE 7 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  The Thanksgiving dinner, right down to the beautiful centerpiece, were devoured by the escaped grizzly.

·  The Thanksgiving dinner, right down to the beautiful centerpiece, was devoured by the escaped grizzly.

·  The cart, as well as its contents, were gone.

·  The cart, as well as its contents, was gone.

·  The girl, along with her classmates, like the new teacher.

·  The girl, along with her classmates, likes the new teacher.

RULE 8 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  Its hump decorated in strings of flowers, the programmer rode the camel through the food court.

·  The programmer rode the camel, its hump decorated in strings of flowers, through the food court.

·  Filled with bad gas, he drove his car to Tucson despite the knocking.

·  Although it was filled with bad gas, he drove his car to Tucson despite the knocking.

RULE 9 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  I was glad to be departing for Australia but I was nervous when I left my apartment.

·  I was glad to be departing for Australia but nervous to be leaving my apartment.

·  The system excels at tasks such as communicating with other computers, processing records, and mathematical calculations.

·  The system excels at tasks such as communicating with other computers, processing records, and calculating mathematical equations.

RULE 10 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  A refund was given to him by the hair regeneration company.

·  The hair regeneration company gave him a refund.

·  A good score was achieved by the team.

·  The team achieved a good score.

·  A box of chocolates and a dozen roses were presented to the girl by her boyfriend.

·  The boyfriend presented a box of chocolates and a dozen roses to the girl.

RULE 11 -- EXAMPLES

Incorrect -- Correct

·  I would like to assert that the author should be considered to be a buffoon.

·  The author is a buffoon.

·  It would be safe to say that Gregor Samsa is not the only character in Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis to undergo drastic changes.

·  Gregor Samsa is not the only character in Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis to undergo drastic change.

·  Before going to the supermarket, we made a list of the groceries we needed in order to make the food that we intended to eat for dinner.

·  Before going to the supermarket, we made a list of groceries that we needed to prepare dinner.

Comments

deepee

Philippines

nice lesson

02:07 AM May 20 2010 |

seren sunshine

Turkey

ı think,too.

01:22 PM Aug 08 2008 |

andrea.sirtori@yahoo.com.br

Brazil

a little boring

04:34 PM Feb 22 2008 |

MoNaL!zaH

MoNaL!zaH

United Arab Emirates

Thanx alot

& goood less

06:53 PM Feb 19 2008 |

MoNaL!zaH

MoNaL!zaH

United Arab Emirates

good lesson

06:51 PM Feb 19 2008 |

COFFI Y.A. Symbiatou

Benin

It's  very hepfull,so cool!

05:28 PM Feb 19 2008 |

JOSEFRANCISCO

Colombia

Good way to write

04:54 PM Feb 19 2008 |

oceangirl05

Viet Nam

Thanks

09:12 AM Feb 16 2008 |

xasan odawaa

Somalia

it's very nice

09:00 AM Feb 09 2008 |

Rubyhm

Rubyhm

China

thank u !!

it's very helpful for me !!!!

06:43 AM Feb 03 2008 |

zoesofar

zoesofar

China

they are profession~~thx ``

07:49 AM Jan 28 2008 |

nrewndj

Russian Federation

It is such a useful lesson, but I think, the examples could have been more worldly. Maybe with a drop of humor.

06:17 AM Jan 24 2008 |

Barbosage

Barbosage

Brazil

THAT’S IT. I WAS LOOKING FOR.

12:07 AM Jan 13 2008 |

Luyba

Luyba

Ukraine

Awesome! it's very helpful

12:16 AM Jan 11 2008 |

rihab2008

rihab2008

Tunisia

thanks a lot .it s very helpful.

03:28 PM Jan 05 2008 |

brainorlook

China

they are clear,professional and helpful…

thanks a lot

02:01 AM Dec 10 2007 |

ruby_nick

India

realy it's helpfull.

10:25 AM Dec 04 2007 |

saifkhan

saifkhan

Pakistan

quite help full to improve writing skill's

04:17 AM Dec 04 2007 |

manop